My queen died D=

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Bevo12

My queen died D=

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:39 pm

I bought a queen golden tailed spiny ant (polyrhachis ammon). She was in an OmniNest Vertical, but she was just living in the test tub she came in, in the middle of the out world while she got some workers going. There looked to be a small amount of mould in there but she had a second test tube in the in case she felt the need to move. She had a bottle cap of sugar, an ant feeder full of a sugar/water mix, a few drops of honey and some store bought ant protein jelly. I also fed her a cricket at one stage which she dragged in he tube. She definitely had eggs, so she didn't seem stressed at all.

A day or two before she died she became really active, moving all around. The next day she was doing the same but she looked to be all wobbly, like she was drunk. Then the next day she was dead.

She did about a week after i got her. Was I maybe not replacing her food enough? Had the cricket maybe ingested some pesticide? I kept her in my lounge room so I don't think temperature was an issue, but maybe.

Any and all thoughts where I might have gone wrong would be greatly appreciated. :(

joyjoy22

Re: My queen died D=

Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:09 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, I feel like it's the cricket but I am honestly not that sure since there a lot of factors that have lead to its death. I hate to say this but workers will also die after a period of time.

JoeHostile1

Re: My queen died D=

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:28 am

A lot of queens just don’t make it past the founding stage. Since she dragged the cricket in the nest she must have been pretty hungry. You should never buy a queen ant without workers for this very reason.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA