Queen Questions !!

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

greenman

Queen Questions !!

Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:18 pm

hello I have a harvester queen, got her last year like july. She had a few eggs, 3 hatched two, one disappeared. had two other queens, they both had 3 eggs , put them eggs in with her to boost, they also disappeared . she just had the two worker ants, then in winter a few months ago, the two workers died, dont know why, or if she killed them, had food wand water. she has not laid anymore eggs, just the first 3 eggs she laid in end of july. can i get some fire ant eggs and give them to her to give her some workers. will she accept them, and will they accept her, would they tend to her and care for her eggs if she lays anymore. what are the dangers ? i know fire ants can make a nasty acid they use in there bites. just want to boost her, harvester ants are rare here, and very hard to find, I have been wanting them for like 7 years, ive caught a few twice, this last yesr, and about 4 years ago, first batch all died, this batch of 3 two died, still got the one solo one, that might be eating her eggs dont know. i give her sunflower seeds, bits of dried corn. and bits of other seeds, knowing harvester ants are seed eaters.

greenman

Re: Queen Questions !!

Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:29 pm

also i live in Texas if that means anything, if your wondering. any help would be good. started her in a test tube, but they are problematic . here in east Texas they run out of water to fast. i fill the tube almost full, with a very small area at the end for queen and the stopper of cotton at the end. about two ant body length. very small area. and in like two months all water is gone. so i got this little stater kit looks like a very small brick with a very small plastic area for an out world. has a hole in the brick for a nest mate. its a tube with screen at one end and a rubber stopper at other to hold water. easy to refill. hole this is prolly 5 inches long, thats the brick and plastic out world. the brick area might hold 25 ants its a small chamber for starting. think its better then the test tube.

greenman

Re: Queen Questions !!

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Is this forum dead. Any other want forums.