Sugar ants in my spider's terrarium

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

nikkirichards03

Sugar ants in my spider's terrarium

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:10 am

So I was changing my tarantula's water and discovered a colony of sugar ants (i apologize for not knowing their proper name) is living in the coconut fiber. An actual colony. I think the nursery was under the water dish because they started scrambling moving the pupa away.

Needless to say I have a very upset spider and they can't stay where they are. If I wanted to keep the colony, would it be best to leave them where they are and move the tarantula to a new tank, or transfer the colony to a more suitable environment, clean the tank with vinegar so they won't return to it, and keep the spider where she is? It was cool watching them scramble and I'd like to continue watching them, just away from my G Portera as she doesn't appreciate the roommates.

Jgibbss

Re: Sugar ants in my spider's terrarium

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:03 pm

move your tarantula ants rarely listen and its hard to transfer some ants

JoeHostile1

Re: Sugar ants in my spider's terrarium

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:56 pm

I realized you can lure ants with a heated test tube. If you have a heating cable you can lay it beside a covered test tube set up. The ants may move into the test tube for you.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA