At home in the test tube

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

harvesterant

At home in the test tube

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:14 pm

I have just moved a Messor Barbarus colony into a formicarium by placing the test tube into the outworld. I have done this only a few days ago, and hope that they will soon decide to move to the acrylic sandwich I have prepared for them. Instead of taking an interest in it, they decided to make themselves at home in the test tube, for example by barricading the enterance with sand.
Is this normal behaviour for ants moving into a formicarium, or should I be doing something to get them moving faster.

JoeHostile1

Re: At home in the test tube

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:26 am

They most likely won’t move out of the test tube until it completely dries up. The test tube is an ideal Environment for ants so there is absolutely no reason for them to just decide to pack up and leave their home. You can try and keep light on the test tube and keep the nest dark and see if that will get them to move quicker.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

harvesterant

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:52 am

The test tube is currently situated directly in the middle of the outworld, which is in the same place as the acrylic sandwich. I don't think that it is possible to keep the new home dark while their old home is exposed to light.

harvesterant

Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:53 pm

By the way, I have used a slightly unusual approach to make sure the ants left the test tube. When they least expected it, I tipped them all out and they did not have time to grab onto anything. Then I carefully retrieved their young from the test tube, put them into the formicarium and completely removed the test tube. I am surprised this method worked so easily.