Pupae not hatching

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

MikyPiky

Pupae not hatching

Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:29 pm

So I've had my queen Lasius ant since August, she laid around 10 eggs a month later. I put her In a test tube set up in a warm room. I have watched her eggs steadily grow over the months, they are pupae now and a lot bigger than they were at first but they still haven't hatched! I tried to move her into a new test tube because her old one is getting gross, but she just wouldn't move, at that point I gave her a little drop of honey which she gobbled up. I have been waiting for months now and her eggs still haven't hatched. Is there any reason why they won't hatch?

One more thing, is it bad if I put a light over the queen to get her to move in to a new test tube?

JoeHostile1

Re: Pupae not hatching

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:00 am

It’s the middle of winter. Your ants should be in hibernation. Possibly why they are not hatching.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

MikyPiky

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:59 am

Okay that makes sense, is there anything I'm doing wrong? Should I move them to a colder room or keep them where they are? I've decided I'm going to try to move them again soon.

Thanks for your help :D

JoeHostile1

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Usually if you catch a Lasius queen in late August/early September they do not lay eggs until the spring. Your particular queen decided she had enough time before spring to get a few workers out, but the temperature in your house probably cooled and the larvae stopped developing.

You should hibernate them at a temperature between 6C and 10C. If you don’t have a fridge you can put them in the next best thing would be a garage or Un-heated basement or some area where you can get close to those temperatures.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

antnest8

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:22 pm

be careful with garages though
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum