Black garden ant (Lasius niger) refuse food

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Coreylovell13

Black garden ant (Lasius niger) refuse food

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:09 am

Hello all,

I have 3 test tubes of black garden ants (Lasius niger) that absolutely refuse to eat anything. I have had them for around 6 months now, and the first generation of workers hatched but no more eggs have been laid by the queen and they will not eat anything I have tried like honey, crickets, apples, bananas, other fruits, and peanut butter. I am out of ideas, and they just will not eat. I have researched their diet and I can't find anything more to try. I really like this species for their size and gentleness so I don't want to lose these queens. Please help, thanks!

George0123

Re: Black garden ant (Lasius niger) refuse food

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:31 am

Probably a hibernation period :P Where are you from???

UnrealSparks

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:53 am

Coreylovell13 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:09 am
Hello all,

I have 3 test tubes of black garden ants (Lasius niger) that absolutely refuse to eat anything. I have had them for around 6 months now, and the first generation of workers hatched but no more eggs have been laid by the queen and they will not eat anything I have tried like honey, crickets, apples, bananas, other fruits, and peanut butter. I am out of ideas, and they just will not eat. I have researched their diet and I can't find anything more to try. I really like this species for their size and gentleness so I don't want to lose these queens. Please help, thanks!
Probably what George said.
If you live in a temperate region they may be trying to hibernate.
Keeping the following colonies:
  • [2x] Camponotus Barbaricus
  • [2x] Lasius Flavus

Coreylovell13

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:54 pm

So I live in Georgia. I caught them in late summer, and they hatched out a few eggs and nothing since. I did hybrinate them in my fridge for about 2 weeks though. Should I put them back in? I've also got a black carpenter ant that will lay eggs and eat them but refuse to eat anythig else. Im just not sure what to do.
:geek: Ant keeper of the Southeastern United States :geek:
Red Imported Fireants (Solenopsis invicta)
Black Garden Ants (Lasius niger)
Black Carpenter Ants (Camponotus pennsylvanicus)