Tarantula Web Barrier

Main Forum Topics,Forum news, updates, announcements, Forum Rules, Questions, Support, and Suggestions.
AntMan82

Tarantula Web Barrier

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi everybody,

I saw in one of the youtube videos that he used a tarantula web as a barrier for his ant colony.. I would like to do the same
and therefore I am asking the community, if someone has a tarantula and could send me a large enough amount of that spider web so I could attach it to the edges of my terrarium.. I really would appreciate your help

Thanks guys

antnest8

Re: Tarantula Web Barrier

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:43 pm

are you having a hard time keeping your colony in?
keeper of
3 tetremorium queens
2 C. pennsylvanicus
1 C novaeboracensis
1 tapinoma sessile colony
!!And A CREMATOGASTER QUEEN!!

JoeHostile1

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:44 am

:lol:
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

DontSquishTheAnt

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:45 am

AntMan82 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:39 pm
Hi everybody,

I saw in one of the youtube videos that he used a tarantula web as a barrier for his ant colony.. I would like to do the same
and therefore I am asking the community, if someone has a tarantula and could send me a large enough amount of that spider web so I could attach it to the edges of my terrarium.. I really would appreciate your help

Thanks guys
Actually, AntMan82, just like any barrier, tarantula webbing has to be replenished every once in a while, and so you will need to have someone send the webbing to you repeatedly, and you will have to pay for it. But, can you tell us more about your ant situation? That would help.
First year and already enjoying it!

Founding:
1 Solenopsis molesta with ~10 nanitics
3 Crematogaster sp. Waiting on the nanitics for species level identification. Suspected C. cerasi

Genesis 1:24

AntMan82

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:47 pm

Thanks.. Darn it.. I thought it would last very very long... I just started an ant colony and I simply wanted to create a natural web barrier, so that my ants wouldn't be able to escape the terrarium.. I saw one climbing up the glass today, so I think I should hurry up creating a barrier..

So do you think I should simply use a baby powder alcohol solution ? or what would you recommend ?

or maybe I should think about buying a tarantula myself ....right ?!

AntMan82

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:19 pm

antnest8 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:43 pm
are you having a hard time keeping your colony in?
Hey , no Idon't have a hard time doing that. They seem to like their habitat.. I just want to be carefully and I simply want to be one step ahead you know...

AntMan82

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:20 pm

JoeHostile1 wrote:
If you can laugh you can also formulate your opinion or an informative answer or maybe you should not comment on my question at all, how about that ? and why do you laugh at all, because after all this is not my idea, I saw this in a professional youtube video and it worked really good, so what is your problem ?

UnrealSparks

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:30 am

AntMan82 wrote:
JoeHostile1 wrote:
If you can laugh you can also formulate your opinion or an informative answer or maybe you should not comment on my question at all, how about that ? and why do you laugh at all, because after all this is not my idea, I saw this in a professional youtube video and it worked really good, so what is your problem ?
Take it easy, he wasn't trying to be mean.

Have you ever heard of PTFE? It's also called Fluon or Teflon and it's the liquid usually applied to non-stick frying pans (if that's the right word :lol:). I've been using it for a couple of months now and only applied it once... never had a single problem containing my colonies. ;)

In alternative yes, you could use a baby powder + alcohol barrier (or simply a talcum barrier), but I've never tested it, so I can't tell you if it's effective or not and how to apply it.
Keeping the following species:

- Messor Barbarus
- Pheidole Pallidula
- Camponotus Barbaricus
- Lasius Niger
- Lasius Flavus
- Lasius Emarginatus

AntMan82

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:39 am

UnrealSparks wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:30 am
AntMan82 wrote:
JoeHostile1 wrote:
Take it easy, he wasn't trying to be mean.

Have you ever heard of PTFE? It's also called Fluon or Teflon and it's the liquid usually applied to non-stick frying pans (if that's the right word :lol:). I've been using it for a couple of months now and only applied it once... never had a single problem containing my colonies. ;)

In alternative yes, you could use a baby powder + alcohol barrier (or simply a talcum barrier), but I've never tested it, so I can't tell you if it's effective or not and how to apply it.
OK thanks . sounds good.Can I buy this fluid on the internet ?! and are you sure he wasn't ? I wouldn't say that..

UnrealSparks

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:32 am

AntMan82 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:39 am

OK thanks . sounds good.Can I buy this fluid on the internet ?! and are you sure he wasn't ? I wouldn't say that..
Yes you can,

I bought mine from Anthouse.es but you will definitely also find it somewhere else. It's a bit expensive if you'll go for a larger amount, but you don't have to. I personally bought the 10ml bottle and it lasted for many months (I have some of it ready for spring still from those 10ml I bought). Also you may want to buy not too much of it to see if it works well with your species (even tough it should work).

And also I'm sure he was laughing after the first reply, because without the details you added later it seemed like your colony was like a nightmare to contain for you to even require webbing. There has been only a bit of misunderstanding, nothing serious. :)
Keeping the following species:

- Messor Barbarus
- Pheidole Pallidula
- Camponotus Barbaricus
- Lasius Niger
- Lasius Flavus
- Lasius Emarginatus