Help me, I'm a beginner

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

CEOofAntColony

Help me, I'm a beginner

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:40 pm

I am fascinated for the last week or so about ants since watching one of Mikey's viral video and been on his video marathon for over 100s of hours. But it is November now and I'm living Charlotte, North Carolina. The temperature is around 40 to 50 degree F now, I was wondering if I can still catch a queen during this season? I do see a Nuptial flight for Lasius is in November.

So will I be able to catch a Q ant here in Charlotte? Or will I be able to catch one if I go to Florida? (a warmer climate)

GrumpyEggs

Re: Help me, I'm a beginner

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:47 pm

I would say judging by the temperature most queens have already started their colonies and are currently in hibernation, so I think you are a but late. You may be able to find some in Florida but it is illegal to take ants across state lines. I would say your best bet would be to check out the GAN project and see if there are any sellers in your area!

Hope this helped
Keeper of tetramorium immgrans

Dream species: prenolepis imparis

CEOofAntColony

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:02 pm

So I live in right in the border of North and South Carolina. Literally, every time I go to work, google map would says "welcome to south Carolina" then "Welcome to North Carolina." I live in North Caro, so If I'm going out there and catch some ants in the South, it's basically illegal if I catch it in the south area, and If I catch the ones in the North and bring it back to my place it's also illegal when I google maps say "Welcome to South Carolina"

Am I pretty much doomed?
what If I put my ants in a terrarium in my car? Is there any cop out there gonna stop me and bust me for the ants I'm carrying? Are they gonna ask "Where are those ants from?" Which State?

JoeHostile1

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:00 am

America is extremely strict about transporting insects. Possibly the most strict in the entire world. Which is why it is illegal in your country to transport an ant 10 minutes away from its original location if you cross a state line. Even if the species obviously exists in both states.

You will also find that the majority of ant keepers on these English speaking forums are Americans. And if there is one thing American ant hobbyists hate its transporting ants across state lines. So you will be eaten alive for suggesting it on any of the English speaking forums.

Also transporting ants is not a police matter as it’s not criminal. It’s an ecological matter. It’s about introducing non native species to an area and potentially having the non native species out compete native species causing environmental harm or having unintended consequences.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA