Pogonomyrmex tips?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

TwitchyTopHat

Pogonomyrmex tips?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:54 pm

Hello y'all. I just aquired a queen a worker in a test tube set up of Pogonomyrmex occidentalis (western harvester) through GAN. As in day 1 lol.

Before I ask for tips, I'll tell you what I know:
She apparently likes cookie crumbs and little whole grain bread crumbs more than honey and sugar water stuff (even though she likes that too) and of course her seeds. I've been recommended to offer her variety like Finch seed and grass seeds. I have crickets as well for protein. She has a few sesame seeds in her test tube so she likes those too. She's also got a little brood. However, her test tube set up is running dry. GAN farmer said she just doesn't want to move but has been doing this too: I placed it open in the basin and placed another open test tube set up inside so they can move when they want. Both are receiving a 2-4watt heating pad that's radiating to the water end from the side of the basin.
There's a thin layer of gardening soil and top soil to help it dry more. However, the hydrometer I placed inside is reading relative humidity at about 35%. I'm sure the test tube set ups are fine, but I'd rather the basin be in that 10-30% range. The temperature is room temp; about 72degrees. For when they're big enough, I have the AC Hybrid 2.0 camponotus model for their formicarium and plan to introduce that heating cable.

Any tips for caring for this species? Especially since it's coming time where I suspect they need to hibernate.

Particularly any tips on how much to feed them when lol. Right now I sprinkled a pinch of seeds around the basin of various kinds and a drop of honey with sesame seeds a little closer on a little rock.

Also any tips on lowering humidity? Should I just abandon most of the soil?

Also I heard this species likes soil in their test tube set ups. Should I place some in or just provide and let her grab some if she wants. I plan to add some to the formicarium once they're big enough at least.

Thanks much! Can't wait to update y'all them and to share what I learned.
Keeper of:
Pogonomyrmex occidentalis (x1)
Camponotus herculeanus (x1)
[Yet to be identified] (x2)

TwitchyTopHat

Re: Pogonomyrmex tips?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:57 pm

First worker came just came out to explore. Hopefully she finds what she's looking for :)
Keeper of:

TwitchyTopHat

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:10 am

Caught the queen foraging this morning which was cool to see
Keeper of:

TwitchyTopHat

Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:38 pm

I moved the orientation of the test tubes a little and a the worker came out to explore curiously (faster than previously when she was more cautious) and the queen, who I've named Queen Rosie for her red color, came out and immediately went for the new test tube. A little while later, the worker followed.
Keeper of:

JoeHostile1

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:49 am

Hey that’s great you got some workers. Forums a bit dead in the winter as most people are hibernating their ants now.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA