Solonopsis Queen Temperature?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

MoldyKing

Solonopsis Queen Temperature?

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi! I recently(ish) caught a solonopsis invicta queen. But it's kinda cold in my room and I don't have control over the temperature, especially as it is starting to cool down outside. But I do have an incubator meant to be used for bird eggs. It keeps the air moving inside (although I don't think that would affect the queen) and it keeps the temperature at a steady 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Is that to hot for her? Or do you think she would be fine? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!! :D :D

idahoantgirl

Re: Solonopsis Queen Temperature?

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:12 am

yeah 100 is way. too. hot. how cold is your room? If it stays around 70 she should be fine. I don't think you have to worry about solenopsis growing too slow. lol
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntsDakota

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:04 pm

MoldyKing wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:47 pm
Hi! I recently(ish) caught a solonopsis invicta queen. But it's kinda cold in my room and I don't have control over the temperature, especially as it is starting to cool down outside. But I do have an incubator meant to be used for bird eggs. It keeps the air moving inside (although I don't think that would affect the queen) and it keeps the temperature at a steady 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Is that to hot for her? Or do you think she would be fine? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!! :D :D
The best thing to do is to buy a reptile heating cable (about 15 watts should do) at a local pet store. This keeps the queen nice and warm and helps her brood develop quicker.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:06 pm

I always thought Solenopsis invicta and geminata were always more sensitive when it comes to cooler temperatures.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25