New ants hibernating?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Dandyhippo

New ants hibernating?

Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:25 pm

I recently transferred a new Tetramorium SP queen and a dozen workers about 3 weeks ago. They haven’t moved or gone to the surface of the terrarium nor have I seen them. I’m certain they’re still alive because I moved them 2 weeks ago to a larger tank and they were alive and well. I’m guessing they’re hibernating since I live in Denver and it’s begining to snow out. Can anyone confirm this or is there something else going on?

AntsDakota

Re: New ants hibernating?

Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Dandyhippo wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:25 pm
I recently transferred a new Tetramorium SP queen and a dozen workers about 3 weeks ago. They haven’t moved or gone to the surface of the terrarium nor have I seen them. I’m certain they’re still alive because I moved them 2 weeks ago to a larger tank and they were alive and well. I’m guessing they’re hibernating since I live in Denver and it’s begining to snow out. Can anyone confirm this or is there something else going on?
Are you keeping them cool?
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Re: New ants hibernating?

Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:25 pm

Also, many queens are black Pheidole mistaken for Tetramorium. When you see her again, please take a pic, just to confirm.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25