Transferring Ants

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Should I use the technique(given in the text:link of a youtube video)or not?

Yes, but be careful.
25%
No, you can hurt the queen.
25%
I don't know.
50%

Total votes: 4

Araiz1

Transferring Ants

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:46 am

Hello,
I am Araiz,I have felt in love with ants by looking at the videos of AntsCanada A.K.A Mikey Bustos. Now I want to keep them. By looking at the GAN project and trying to see if any Ant farmers in my area are trying to sell ants, I came to know that Pakistan is not situated in the list at all. I am not over 18 years, as I am 14 years old, and I am not a professional ant keeper. So I wanted your help. There are like 7-8 species of ants living in my lawn and my backyard, one of them is Black Crazy Ants(B.C.A), and I want to keep them. They, Black Crazy Ants(B.C.A), live in my home and I want to transfer them to my habitat but I don't know how? There was a migration of B.C.A from outside the gate of my house going inside to the space between the bricks. I thought of them to be undefeatable as they took 7 hours to complete their migration, with more than fifty queens. It has not been a week, 80% of the colony was killed by another colony living in my house, which seemed to be of ratio 'Another colony 1:8 B.C.A.' Later the remaining B.C.A found another hole and are now living there. So I want a colony of ants living in the habitat, made by me, may it be B.C.A( which I want) or any other colony living in my lawn or backyard. Give me tips on how to make them to leave the lawn and join my habitat, or you can set a GAN farmer at Lahore particularly. Nuptual Flight are not happening these days. So please tell me how to transfer any colony to my place.

Or should I use this technique https://youtu.be/kL6RdY8iBNE (YouTube).I can attach a tube to their nest so when they come out in rush they will go in the tube and will migrate to my habitat.
I want your reply.

AntsDakota

Re: Transferring Ants

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:54 am

Araiz1 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:46 am
Hello,
I am Araiz,I have felt in love with ants by looking at the videos of AntsCanada A.K.A Mikey Bustos. Now I want to keep them. By looking at the GAN project and trying to see if any Ant farmers in my area are trying to sell ants, I came to know that Pakistan is not situated in the list at all. I am not over 18 years, as I am 14 years old, and I am not a professional ant keeper. So I wanted your help. There are like 7-8 species of ants living in my lawn and my backyard, one of them is Black Crazy Ants(B.C.A), and I want to keep them. They, Black Crazy Ants(B.C.A), live in my home and I want to transfer them to my habitat but I don't know how? There was a migration of B.C.A from outside the gate of my house going inside to the space between the bricks. I thought of them to be undefeatable as they took 7 hours to complete their migration, with more than fifty queens. It has not been a week, 80% of the colony was killed by another colony living in my house, which seemed to be of ratio 'Another colony 1:8 B.C.A.' Later the remaining B.C.A found another hole and are now living there. So I want a colony of ants living in the habitat, made by me, may it be B.C.A( which I want) or any other colony living in my lawn or backyard. Give me tips on how to make them to leave the lawn and join my habitat, or you can set a GAN farmer at Lahore particularly. Nuptual Flight are not happening these days. So please tell me how to transfer any colony to my place.

Or should I use this technique https://youtu.be/kL6RdY8iBNE (YouTube).I can attach a tube to their nest so when they come out in rush they will go in the tube and will migrate to my habitat.
I want your reply.
It is extremely hard to capture a wild colony. Firstly, the colony might not adjust very well to captivity (although black crazy ants are very adaptive to captivity). Also, digging up a wild colony can indeed injure or kill their queen. It is best and more rewarding to capture a young newly mated queen after nuptial flight.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Araiz1

Help

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:51 am

Thank you AntsDakota for your reply, I appreciate it but here is the problem,
  • Black Crazy Ants(B.C.A) do not have nuptial flights as they mate inside their nest,
  • Winter is coming at the end of the month, so I don't think there would be any Nuptual Flights,
  • I don't know the species of any of the ants living in my lawn or backyard, so I don't know which colony has Nuptial Flights on which month,
  • I am only 14yrs so pls help me out.
Pls do reply on these problems.

Andrea

Re: Help

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Araiz1 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:51 am
Thank you AntsDakota for your reply, I appreciate it but here is the problem,
  • Black Crazy Ants(B.C.A) do not have nuptial flights as they mate inside their nest,
  • Winter is coming at the end of the month, so I don't think there would be any Nuptual Flights,
  • I don't know the species of any of the ants living in my lawn or backyard, so I don't know which colony has Nuptial Flights on which month,
  • I am only 14yrs so pls help me out.
Pls do reply on these problems.
so, I searched it on the internet, and i found that if the queen adapts herself in captivity there should be no problem, but don't trust this at 100%

Araiz1

Re: Help

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Andrea wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:35 pm
so, I searched it on the internet, and i found that if the queen adapts herself in captivity there should be no problem, but don't trust this at 100%
Thank you Andrea, that helped me.