Mold in my ants home

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Twenty4boy

Mold in my ants home

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:04 pm

Hello,

I found a queen ant earlier this summer. When capturing it I used a container big enough to hold about one orange cut up or the size of a fist. I threw some dirt in the container with a tiny amount of twigs and rocks and tried to put water in it without drowning the whole thing. Placed the queen inside then closed the lid. It has been about 6 - 7 weeks have seen about 5 - 6 workers so far. Continuing what I'm doing to let the colony grow. I have found mold on top of the dirt of the nest. I'm not sure if the colony is alright because I haven't seen them in about a week. Will putting this small container into a bigger more permanent location work, or will the mold keep spreading? I will be cleaning the small container out and see if I can find another home for now. If I could get any advice about the matter, I will greatly appreciate it.

thanks

AntsDakota

Re: Mold in my ants home

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:39 am

The mold will keep spreading. I suggest moving a small colony into a test tube by not watering the nest. This encourages the ants to move out of the dirt and into the new nest.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Twenty4boy

Re: Mold in my ants home

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:46 pm

Thank you.