Looking to start my first Formicarium!

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Lmckim93

Looking to start my first Formicarium!

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:44 pm

Hi all,

Been a member of the AC family on YouTube for a good number of months now and I'm looking to get my first Formicarium!

Looking for some general advice though. I've done my research but some advice from the experienced guys would be great as I want to do this right!

I've had a look at the Formicariums available to me in the UK. Im going to be starting off with a small starter kit in the hopes of allowing the colony to grow slowly and expand over time as and when necessary.

https://antkit.uk/collections/starter-kits/products/antkit-acrylic-starter-kit-1-medium

That's what I'm looking to start with. Any recommendations would be great as I am unsure myself. I noticed there is no place for a water tube and I have seen recommendations that water dishes are not a good idea as the ants can drown in them. Would it be ok to place a water tube (usual plugged with a cotton ball setup I have seen on the AC youtube) inside the foraging area? Simply lying on its side or secured to the side via some sort of suction. Would typical garden soil of course bio friendly non treated bought from my local garden store be suitable for my base? Some live foliage, dried leaves which I am already working on and a small decorative rock from my local fish store be suitable? Of course all within size limits of the Formicarium. Also will I invest in a heat mat immediately. I'm going to be keeping the Formicarium on my desk in my home office as it will fit snuggly but it is next to a window. It's not a cold room and it won't be in direct sun light as of the placement I have chosen but I want my new ant friends to be as comfortable as possible. I also understand it should only be placed under one side for thermoregulation but does this apply to the foraging area or the nesting area or both?

Next and most excitingly THE ANTS... I'm looking to go for Lasius Niger as they seem like a great starter species for a beginner. 1 queen with 11 - 20 workers which I can purchase. Now my first question - it's the winter season and from what I've read, September to March is hibernation time. Is it worth while me purchasing these ants just now? I don't want to buy as above and have a stressed out overworked queen who would quickly die or eat her own larvie. I ideally was hoping to have this all set up by next week but will hold off for the right timing to ensure the best health for the queen/colony.

I have a few more questions regarding ant care but until I have clarity on the above I'll hold off.

Really looking forward to this and have been thinking about it for a while now so any advice would be great!!

Thanks

Lmckim93

cheetawolf

Re: Looking to start my first Formicarium!

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:31 pm

first, yes the testtube with water will work fine

yes any decor is great but dont put too much.

putting it on a desk will be fine, only put the heat mat on the side of the nest only.

and i highly suggest waiting until next spring to buy the queen. no point right now.

good luck
Fellow Ant Keeper!
Youtuber
Channel name: Evador (please check out my channel that would be epic)
link-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-7SIjQbnXF6_w-5cCT9A7A

GAN farmer in BC Canada