Is my queen alright?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Andrea

Is my queen alright?

Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:32 am

So, 3 days ago i asked on this forum what breed was my queen, and it was told me it was a Crematogaster queen (https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11629).
All good, it was just my first queen ant, i looked up on the internet what to feed after she had her first workers, and when will she lay them. Since when i asked the question, i placed her in a test tube, wich i placed inside a box (leaving a bit open for air), but no eggs in sight, i just checked once a day, siwtching off my room light and leaving a small light.
Today i noticed something.
like u can check here https://ibb.co/gPGemp she has something on the back of her gaster.
So my question is, is it alright and maybe i found an unfertile one? or that thing shouldn't be there?
Hope someone you can help me, it's my first queen ant

idahoantgirl

Re: Is my queen alright?

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:37 am

It almost looks to me like she was in the process of laying an egg, but I'm not sure. you should not be checking on her every day. Only once every week - 2 weeks. Also ants can take up to a week or two to lay eggs, so don't worry about it.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

DontSquishTheAnt

Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:47 pm

Do not check on your queen every day, some species (especially Crematogaster sp.) get stressed out very easily. What country/province do you live in? I'm in Connecticut, USA, and the Crematogaster queens here wait until spring to lay their eggs. If that is true for your region as well, you may want to check your queen only once every 3 weeks.
First year and already enjoying it!

Founding:
1 Solenopsis molesta colony with ~10 nanitic workers and lots of brood

Genesis 1:24

Andrea

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:10 pm

DontSquishTheAnt wrote:
Do not check on your queen every day, some species (especially Crematogaster sp.) get stressed out very easily. What country/province do you live in? I'm in Connecticut, USA, and the Crematogaster queens here wait until spring to lay their eggs. If that is true for your region as well, you may want to check your queen only once every 3 weeks.
I'm from Tuscany, Italy
By the way, thanks guys for help, i have a last question, how long will eggs take to hatch?

AntsDakota

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:45 pm

Andrea wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:10 pm
DontSquishTheAnt wrote:
I'm from Tuscany, Italy
By the way, thanks guys for help, i have a last question, how long will eggs take to hatch?
For Crematogaster it takes 3 months to develope into adults.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Andrea

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:23 am

Ok, so, i got a last question, since I'm a young boy, i can't work, so i can't have my personal money, and because of these i just thought to do a list of how much i'll need to spend to make a house to my colony.
In this way i can find something to do to get the money i need, like some little commissions.

So, the question is, i would guess that the cheapest one would probabilly be recycling an acquarium that we're not using anymiore, to make a natural terrarium, but i would also like to check the nest, to see how it's going.
What's your advice? you can also share some links or videos