Few important questions about Brood Boosting!

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

AntsDakota

Re: Few important questions about Brood Boosting!

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Antpax wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:41 pm
- Hi, I've had this problem with my Lasius Niger queen... eggs just wouldn't develop further from larva stage for 4 months
(3 of them made it to larva and now just seem dead)
I Tried everything.... i raised multiple Lasius colonies within same setup but this one is special... i gave her proteins, gave her honey... she just sucks everything up and continue doing nothing.. i keep perfect temperature for Niger (around 26 °c) changed test tube with water 2 times...
- So i suspected queen was not capable to sustain them...

I have other successful Lasius colony but i don't know which exact species (could be also niger since its very similar but i doubt, probably L. Neglectus the invasive ants )

- So i tried introducing pupae from that other colony to the incompetent queen... and she accepted it gladly :?

What are your thoughts, what could happen?
Will the worker survive after enclosure?
Also what could be the problem with the brood/queen?
First, if they are the same species, the queen will hatch them with no problems, and the workers will pick up her pheramones. Second, only check on your queen once a week at least, for queens will eat their brood if they are too stressed.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Re: Few important questions about Brood Boosting!

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:57 pm

Antpax wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:30 pm
AntsDakota wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:48 pm
First, if they are the same species, the queen will hatch them with no problems, and the workers will pick up her pheramones. Second, only check on your queen once a week at least, for queens will eat their brood if they are too stressed.
I basically checked on her 4 times since June... I don't know if they are the same species, but very similar.
What could happen to worker if it is not the same species?
The queen will kill the workers, but the queen would hardly be in danger.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25