Re: PLEASE HELP

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:54 pm

Zacharous wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:09 pm
JoeHostile1 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:01 pm
Zacharous wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 pm

Should I remove the queen in hopes of this virus killing off the workers, and completely sanitize the test tube/formicarium? I really don't want this to get any worse, as it seem like some kind of virus or fungus screwing with their brain.
Gee man I’m not sure. I’m trying to think what I would do if this was happening to me. I would definitely stop using the heating cable for the time being to try and rule that out. And I would have done everything you have already done; clean the setup, swap out the food, move location of the nest, turn off the heating cable. Would I separate the queen from the workers? No I would not do that. You could try moving them into a fresh test tube and see if that helps.

It’s possible the damage to these workers is already done and you already solved the initial problem, but it could be too late for this batch of worker ants. As long as the queen is fine you may be ok. That’s why I was asking if she has healthy eggs/larvae?
I'm willing to seperate the workers from the queen even if they may all die. I guess what i'm asking is; would the queen survive being away from the workers? No, the larvae are completely white. Theres probably 10 pupa in there. I'd rather all the "Infected" or "Injured" workers die off while the queen survives. If it is a bacterial problem then logically the best thing to do would be to seperate the infected from the non-infected. as far as i know the queen is the only one thats acting normal.
I just noticed one of the pupae is black. Much more black than the rest. The rest of the larvae are completely white accept for a very small black dot. The one I’m talking about is half white half black. Like one half of it’s shell is white and the other half is black

JoeHostile1

Re: PLEASE HELP

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:04 am

Yes the queen can survive without the workers. Especially since there are already pupae you should have a new batch of workers in a couple weeks or less.

The black pupae is probably dead. The larvae sound good, the black dots inside them mean they are well fed.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA