myrmica queen identification

Main Forum Topics,Forum news, updates, announcements, Forum Rules, Questions, Support, and Suggestions.
Jeremyants14

myrmica queen identification

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:08 pm

caught a possible myrmica queen she has one worker that recently enclosed and I need help identifying her I live in Manitoba and eally want to know what she is. some possible species she could be are, myrmica Americana, myrmica fraticornis, myrmica incomplete, myrmica latifrons, myrmica lobifrons, myrmica monticola, and myrmica nearctica. if you keep or are familar any of these and think it is not one of the species I listed up there please let me know. { not sure how to upload a photo casue Im new to this} send me a message if you know how to :lol:
Keeper of:
Camponotus pennslyvanicus, herculeanus and noveaboracensis
Formica Fusca and montana
Lasius pallitarsis
Leptothorax muscorum
brachymyrmex depills
+ 2 myrmica species

TheRealAntMan

Re: myrmica queen identification

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Watch this to learn how to post pics: https://youtu.be/c1Mu4Rw3s8w.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

Batspiderfish

Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Myrmica can only be identified through microscopic examination of a worker.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsDakota

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:31 pm

I thought you said you had to disect a worker to id it.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Batspiderfish

Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:14 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:31 pm
I thought you said you had to disect a worker to id it.
In some cases you do! The main point is that Myrmica is moderately diverse and the differences between most species are so subtle that even decent macro photography is insufficient.

Some ants simply won't be identified on forums like this without microscopic photographs. Lasius brevicornis/Lasius nearcticus is another ant of late which will not be identified to the species level.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.