No Queen

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

PhantomPhoenix

No Queen

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:00 pm

So I have gotten a new ant farm 2 days ago from raiding a massive ant colony, though I hadn't gotten a queen. When we opened the bucket we released the ants into the farm with some dirt from there home. So they're living well, and they have maybe 10 eggs stored and they're digging tunnels and such. Is it possible for the eggs to hatch to become a queen? Is it possible by a slight chance that an ant could become the queen? Or are they just going to survive for a bit then die? I'm very new to ant keeping so please help me out, thanks!

idahoantgirl

Re: No Queen

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:34 am

Unlikely. Only a few rare species perform these feats. Get an ID on them.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

antnest8

Re: No Queen

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:51 am

PhantomPhoenix wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:00 pm
So I have gotten a new ant farm 2 days ago from raiding a massive ant colony, though I hadn't gotten a queen. When we opened the bucket we released the ants into the farm with some dirt from there home. So they're living well, and they have maybe 10 eggs stored and they're digging tunnels and such. Is it possible for the eggs to hatch to become a queen? Is it possible by a slight chance that an ant could become the queen? Or are they just going to survive for a bit then die? I'm very new to ant keeping so please help me out, thanks!
there are some species that have worker queens called "gamergates" but these exist only in Asia from what i have heard and the chance of them being a queen is really small and even then the queen would be a unfertilized elate. What species of ant is it because you could try raiding the nest again for a queen if they are polygenous.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum