What type of queen ants are there?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Salkio

What type of queen ants are there?

Tue May 31, 2016 1:55 pm

Hello,

So I recently got into ant farming. I'm living in South Africa, Cape Town and I found these 2 queens under a concrete slab in my garden, they had wings and once i put them into a test tube they shortly after removed them. I think they have laid eggs because there is a small white patch which look like fly eggs and they are always near this area. Im just wondering what type of any this is? They are about 6 to 7 mm long, caught them in South Africa, Cape Town at around 2 PM in the afternoon.

I could not attach images for some reason so i took a screenshot and linked it.

http://prntscr.com/bapvdc
http://prntscr.com/bapvy4

thanks

Lorenzo

AntsRule

Re: What type of queen ants are there?

Tue May 31, 2016 2:43 pm

Why are they together? Some species will fight to the death. Look like some species of Camponotus (carpenter ant) to me, although I do live in PA so I am not sure. :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Salkio

Tue May 31, 2016 3:02 pm

AntsRule wrote:Why are they together? Some species will fight to the death. Look like some species of Camponotus (carpenter ant) to me, although I do live in PA so I am not sure. :D
I also thought they would fight, but since i found them both under this concrete slab i put them together and they have been happy ever since.

AntsRule

Tue May 31, 2016 3:09 pm

I think you got lucky by finding a polygynous ( species that has multiple queens) species. Some queens just duck down under things to get away from the sun not meaning to be together. Next time play it safe and do not join them until you know they are polygynous. Nice catch! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Salkio

Tue May 31, 2016 4:29 pm

AntsRule wrote:I think you got lucky by finding a polygynous ( species that has multiple queens) species. Some queens just duck down under things to get away from the sun not meaning to be together. Next time play it safe and do not join them until you know they are polygynous. Nice catch! :D
Wow awesome! thanks for the info, yeah next time ill be more careful

Antman1

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:32 pm

Have they layed eggs yet?

larynx

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:01 pm

Salkio wrote:Hello,

So I recently got into ant farming. I'm living in South Africa, Cape Town and I found these 2 queens under a concrete slab in my garden, they had wings and once i put them into a test tube they shortly after removed them. I think they have laid eggs because there is a small white patch which look like fly eggs and they are always near this area. Im just wondering what type of any this is? They are about 6 to 7 mm long, caught them in South Africa, Cape Town at around 2 PM in the afternoon.

I could not attach images for some reason so i took a screenshot and linked it.

http://prntscr.com/bapvdc
http://prntscr.com/bapvy4

thanks

Lorenzo
congrats on the queens, and the eggs. as far as the type of ant, i would wait for someone who is more versed in your local species before making any decisions on what they are. i will guess it is Messor Capensis sp. due to the 6-7 mm measure, location, and looks, but im no expert sooooo.
but for now, if they are fine together and taking care of the eggs together then let it roll. keep an eye out for workers around the garden you them in, and maybe match the workers of the same species to your queens. good luck, and welcome to the hobby. :mrgreen:
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer