My ant colony

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Bartol

My ant colony

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:58 am

through your forums I connected with a man from Croatia who has to many myrmica rubra colonies ( he caught a lot of Queens and a lot of them are successful, more then he can keep) so he will pass a 30+ worker colony to me, this is my first colony I have watched a lot of videos and read a lot but I am wondering if any of you have any tips for me. Is this a good beginner colony, many say yes but they also say fire ants in general are tough to keep and this is referred as fire ants of europe. What kind of setup should I use and if u could recommend me items from the store to buy (antcanda store because if I am doing this I don’t feel like improvising for my first time until I don’t get more experience) can they manage with the formicarium and outworld separate or do they need the all in one setup is it? Is it to early to move 30+ workers to a formicarium or keep them in a test tube? How often and what should I feed them etc. I am picking them up next week until I get everything I need. And yes the species is native to my country. Thank you all in advance.

Bartol

Re: My ant colony

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:06 am

And how should I hibernate them and should I at all ( if they hibernate it would be no problem just wondering how to make it comfortable for them)

JoeHostile1

Re: My ant colony

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:23 am

The nest Is where the ants live and the outworld is the area outside the nest where the ants forage for food and dump their garbage. No matter what kind of nest you use they need an outworld. You can move a 30 worker ant colony into a nest. You feed them every couple of days, insects. And alway make sure they have access to sugar water or honey/honey water. For hibernation you hibernate between 2C - 10C them during your winter. I use a wine fridge.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA