Is it possible to replace Camponotus queen?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

KickingKing

Is it possible to replace Camponotus queen?

Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:12 pm

First post! :)

Hi all,
I just returned back from holiday where we were going to burn two logs but I saw ants inside. I just love the ants in that area and I've decided to "save" them. First log I saw the queen but she escaped, as for the second one we've managed to capture it. They were huge colonies!

Long story short - 2 weeks of trying to keep as much of them alive as possible. Today I returned home riding a motor-bike with the survivors and the queen but when I got home I saw her dead. Some log or something inside the "nest" hit her in the back part (gaster seems to be badly damaged). :((

I have 5 other queens that are just starting but I wanted those so bad. They are big and great to watch. I've managed to capture another queen while on the trip (a few but kept only one) that seems to be Camponotus too in size but in color it is redish as the old one is black (with 3 yellow stripes on the gaster). I have another one that could be Camponotus but not really sure as she is still in test tube and has the wings on.

So the question is: can I somehow make the big colony accept one of the new queens? If not is it a good idea to share the eggs between 1-2 of my other queens that are still waiting for first brood to hatch(boost) ?

Thank you in advance

idahoantgirl

Re: Is it possible to replace Camponotus queen?

Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:18 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. Put plainly, new queens will be ripped to pieces. Not advised. Brood boostingworks with ants of the same species, and I believe it can work with same genus as well.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

KickingKing

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:23 pm

Well in one of the videos I watched (no idea which one) it seemed like there are species that when understanding the queen is dead will accept a new one?
Any chance of that or waiting is them to die is the only way? :(

idahoantgirl

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm

KickingKing wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:23 pm
Well in one of the videos I watched (no idea which one) it seemed like there are species that when understanding the queen is dead will accept a new one?
Any chance of that or waiting is them to die is the only way? :(
There are polygynous species, but most Campo. is not one of them. I've heard that Modoc and Vicinis are polygynous but that's it.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

Gabeants

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:51 pm

If you really want to try it, i suggest first removing the brood from the colony with the dead queen and using that to brood boost your new queen and then after those eggs have hatched, only then combine the workers with the new queen and do it during hibernation. i am not sure that this will work but it's worth a shot if you're willing to take the risk. if not, just brood boost her.

AntsDakota

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:20 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:18 pm
I believe it can work with same genus as well.
But remember that the workers will be killed right after they emerge, so it is pretty pointless and in my opinion a little cruel, too.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

idahoantgirl

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:33 am

That may be true. I don't remember that part very clearly :)

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

AntsDakota

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:51 am

But I think the queen might have a fighting chance if the colony didn't accept her because my Camponotus queen killed a major of the same species by spraying it with formic acid and ripping it's head off. (The major was injured, but I think the queen could fight against tiny nanitics, though)
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25