Broken Antennae

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

BowzerSlayer

Broken Antennae

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Just caught a camponotus queen, which was pretty exciting, but upon further inspection I discovered that one of her antennae is broken off about halfway down. Will she found a colony or should I just put her back outside?
Thanks!
Ask not what your ants can do for you, ask what you can do for your ants.

AntsDakota

Re: Broken Antennae

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:23 pm

BowzerSlayer wrote:
Just caught a camponotus queen, which was pretty exciting, but upon further inspection I discovered that one of her antennae is broken off about halfway down. Will she found a colony or should I just put her back outside?
Thanks!
An ant can still communicate even with one antenna. Having one antenna is something like having one eye. So if she's mated she is just as likely to found a colony than a queen with 2 antennae.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

BowzerSlayer

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:08 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:23 pm
BowzerSlayer wrote:
Thanks!
An ant can still communicate even with one antenna. Having one antenna is something like having one eye. So if she's mated she is just as likely to found a colony than a queen with 2 antennae.
Thanks for the info! I think she's missing part of a leg too but she seems to be moving around just fine. I found her as I finished mowing my lawn and can't help but feel responsible for the loss of limb, but she's in good hands now.

idahoantgirl

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:17 pm

I had a lasuis Neoniger queen with a missing antennae. She reared a healthy colony to about 20 workers. Their death was completely my fault and not due at all the her antennae. ( I left them in a windowsil and they kinda... cooked.)
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

BowzerSlayer

Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:48 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
I had a lasuis Neoniger queen with a missing antennae. She reared a healthy colony to about 20 workers. Their death was completely my fault and not due at all the her antennae. ( I left them in a windowsil and they kinda... cooked.)
How sad! Gotta be careful with direct sunlight (but I'm sure you knew that lol). This makes queen number 5 for me. I only started keeping ants this summer and I'm loving it. Just had my application to be a GAN farmer accepted too!

idahoantgirl

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:18 pm

BowzerSlayer wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:
How sad! Gotta be careful with direct sunlight (but I'm sure you knew that lol). This makes queen number 5 for me. I only started keeping ants this summer and I'm loving it. Just had my application to be a GAN farmer accepted too!
Sweet! Yeah they were my first colony from 3 years ago so it was kinda inevitable that something would go wrong

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

BowzerSlayer

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:52 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:18 pm
BowzerSlayer wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:
Sweet! Yeah they were my first colony from 3 years ago so it was kinda inevitable that something would go wrong
Maybe you can help me identify one? I know I have two camponotus and two tetramorium, but I'm unsure about the fifth. It's smaller than the tetramorium with similar proportions. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wSdike4Kmks6kePcweAPi5SVpAgctLo7/view?usp=drivesdkhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vd1BYmtUCoP-250CTcewoe5onCwQqBbN/view?usp=drivesdkhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1U-R74WXBDI8WQ_JUyIDzp-RTp1SLxI8d/view?usp=drivesdk

idahoantgirl

Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Hmm my specialty is not IDs. Best to make a separate post so you can get lots of peoples opinions :)

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,