Lasius niger setup

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Chrisg81

Lasius niger setup

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:21 pm

Hey guys im just starting off i have a newly mated lasius niger queen in a test tube setup, i was just wondering what the obsolute best type of formicarium is for thing species, visability is vital as im new to the hobby and there is so much to learn. Also i was thinking about brood boosting my queen but i would also like some friendly advice on that if anyone can help me, thanks guys!

idahoantgirl

Re: Lasius niger setup

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:57 pm

The Lasius Hybrid would be a good option. It is specifically tailored for that species. Plus its a great price. If you want maximum visibilility, The Omni and Omni Vertical are the best choice. Brood boosting is only possible with brood from the same species, so if you can get your hands on some of them, then you can try it :)
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Chrisg81

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:33 pm

Thankyou so much for the help, yes i would like the omni nest but they are quite expensive and come with a outworld which i already have, is there any way i can just buy the formicarium or is that not possible? Have you ever used this formicaria is it good for maintaining humidity levels? Also do you know if brood is purchasable or will i haved to find my own? Again thanks for the help much appreciated.

idahoantgirl

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:14 pm

I'm not sure about buying just the omni nest, no outworld. You would have to ask the store. I have only used a Lasius Hybrid Nest (the old, 3d printed version) So I can't speak for the omni. I'm sure the humidity would be fine though. As far as I know you can't purchase brood, although i suppose it would be legal considering they would just be workers. You'll have to research that :)
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

BowzerSlayer

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:23 am

Chrisg81 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:21 pm
Also i was thinking about brood boosting my queen but i would also like some friendly advice on that if anyone can help me, thanks guys!
"If you are a beginner, we recommend do not attempt brood boosting as it could result in
death if there is a species mismatch (though there have been several documented cases of
brood boosting colonies and queens of different species but same genera). There is also the
chance of spread of virus, disease, or parasites from the brood of the wild colony to your
queen."
-AntsCanada Ultimate Ant Keeping Handbook

Basically, if you don't have the exact genera *and* species you run a high risk of failure, not to mention the potential to accidentally introduce mites, disease, or fungus to your young queen and colony. Recommend not trying it but if you're confident and/or ballsy, go for it.
Ask not what your ants can do for you, ask what you can do for your ants.