Which would I introduce to my ant colony first, a formicarium or an outworld?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

AntKid7

Which would I introduce to my ant colony first, a formicarium or an outworld?

Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:47 pm

I just got into ant keeping and couldn't find the answer to this question anywhere so I just decided to ask it here. I have a Lasius Niger colony which has about five workers and was just wondering if any of you could help me out.

Steven

Re: Which would I introduce to my ant colony first, a formicarium or an outworld?

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:51 pm

If your test tube links with your nest plug it in, let them find there way out it would be like there entering the world above for the first, or you can put test tube in out world don’t rush the ants out the test tube it could take 10 mins or 10 days, in my experience when you get up in morning they will be where you want them to be 👍
Lasius Niger
MEGA COLONY Myrmica Rubra
Pheidole Pallidula

AntKid7

Re: Which would I introduce to my ant colony first, a formicarium or an outworld?

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:55 pm

Thanks a lot really helped, I was also wondering should I get a small outworld because it's a small colony or a big one that would last longer? And should I put them in an outworld when they have like 50 workers?

Steven

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:04 pm

Really no rush bud it’s going to be next year now before there is any BOOM In the new colony get your self the one you want for Christmas and come spring move them in
Lasius Niger
Pheidole Pallidula

idahoantgirl

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:19 pm

Your colony is too small to be connected to a formicarium. That will come at 20-50 workers. I would suggest introducing them to an outworld now. I would simply set the test tube in the outworld with a piece of drinking straw wedged between the side of the tube and the exit cotton to create a cozy tunnel. The size of the outworld doesn't matter. Small colonies do not need small outworlds, as in the wild they have the whole world. You can always change the size of the outworld later when you move them to a nest.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntKid7

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:56 pm

Yeah you're right, so do you think I should buy a AntsCanada outworld or another one, if you have a recommendation for a good outworld please let me know.

AntKid7

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:02 pm

Oh also, could the queen ant fit in the drinking straw? Cause that seems kinda small for a queen.

Steven

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:04 pm

I like the ones why they sell, but I am short of cash these days, I have recently bought some off eBay for £18 a peace, BUT if you have the money I would buy AntsCanada hybrid nest, I am gonna get my wife to buy one for Xmas
Lasius Niger
Pheidole Pallidula

AntKid7

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:24 pm

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but I'm a kid, so I'm gonna try to do baby face to my parents and hope they get one :D .

AntKid7

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:28 pm

Oh how much is that currency worth in US currency just wondering if I could afford an eBay formicarium or outworld.