Ants - 1 month in Test Tube

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

ScottishAnt

Ants - 1 month in Test Tube

Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:39 pm

Hi all. I hope you are well.

I am completely new to this but just wanted to explain my current setup.

At the end of July I caught 5 Lasius Niger Queen Ants. I proceeded to set up in the test tube as advised and checked in on the Ants once or twice per week. They are kept in a dark drawer in a garage.

4 ants seem to have laid eggs after a week but nothing seems to have moved on this since. I realise patience with this is required.

Sadly the 5th Ant died today. Unlike the others this one had been eating into the cotton at the water end and some mold had appeared in the test tube. I was planning to set up another test tube for it but that's obviously too late now.

I clearly have a lot to learn but the other 4 Queens seem healthy for now. I haven't fed them but they all have a water supply.

From what I see online darkness and peace along with water supply are key but if there is anything else someone could advise on it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

antkeeper77

Re: Ants - 1 month in Test Tube

Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:32 am

Maybe check them once every two weeks? Thats what i do and i hava larvae (lasius niger)

ScottishAnt

Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:32 pm

Thanks. I've clearly been doing something wrong or checking on them too much as nothing has progressed since my last post. They are all still alive though. I can only assume they have been eating their eggs or hiding them against the cotton.

My next question is about feeding. I know you aren't meant to feed until the first workers are around but they have been in test tunes since end of July so I don't know how long they can keep going without food.

Ishaan

Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:09 am

if this is the case them give them a bit of sugar water

ScottishAnt

Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:46 am

So it's nearly 6 months since I caught the ants now.

Unfortunately another Queen died recently but I still have 3 Queens alive. My hope is that I can get them through to Spring and they will start producing eggs.

If not I will let them go at that point.

LoverofAnts37

Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:55 pm

They might just be waiting for hibernation to end before growing brood or they are eating their eggs.

AntsAntsAnts

Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:52 pm

Lasius niger is NOT polygynous. Though they will be together for the time being, they may still kill each other and as soon as there is a worker they will kill all the queens until only one remain. I recommend seperating the queens. However, keeping them together will mean a larger initial brood pile, but just keep in mind that only one will remain.
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:51 pm

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Lasius niger is NOT polygynous. Though they will be together for the time being, they may still kill each other and as soon as there is a worker they will kill all the queens until only one remain. I recommend seperating the queens. However, keeping them together will mean a larger initial brood pile, but just keep in mind that only one will remain.
A while ago I rember coming across an article saying that in the wild they will rarely make nest with 2 queens, but when they come together one will die. Never polygynos in captvity.

ALSO, DONT DO IT. YOU MAY LOOSE BOYH QUEENS. SOMEONE DID IT AND ENDED UP WITH A DESD QUEEN AND A LEGLESS QUEEN WHO DIED. IT IS VERY RISKY ESPEICALLY IF ON EIS INFERTILE AND IT WINS
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

ScottishAnt

Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:58 pm

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Yes I should have explained I have them in 3 different test tubes.

Hoping they get through to Spring ok then can see if the egg laying will resume.

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:02 pm

ScottishAnt wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:58 pm
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Yes I should have explained I have them in 3 different test tubes.

Hoping they get through to Spring ok then can see if the egg laying will resume.
Good luck
When you accidentally reply to yourself…