Acrylic Formicarium Help

Main Forum Topics,Forum news, updates, announcements, Forum Rules, Questions, Support, and Suggestions.
laned101

Acrylic Formicarium Help

Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:11 am

Hi, I am new to the forum and am starting my journey with Ant care very shortly. I am currently preparing the acrylic formicarium I have purchased for my daughter (it's a birthday gift). I have attached an image of the type.

The problem I am having is the water tube housing for the humidity of the nest seems to be leaking water. This is a glass tube of 15mm x 150mm. The sponge-like material going up the nest vertically doesn't seem to soak the water very well either, but I guess this will create the required humidity gradient regardless. So I was going to seal this housing but I am not sure what is safe to use. I of course don't want to kill our Lasius Niger once they arrive.

Any advice would be very welcome, thank you.

cjerg9

Re: Acrylic Formicarium Help

Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:05 am

Hi there, I’d possibly try to contact the company and see if you can get some sort of refund as I would consider this as a product fault. You could potentially patch it up with non-toxic tape but I feel like it will become a big hassle. Is there any chance you would be able to get a refund?

AntLuvForever

Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:21 am

You can try to go to the AntsCanada ants store or maybe Ants Australia store as well. Both really good options. I’m planning on buying my own ants a hybrid nest as soon as they’re big enough.

cjerg9

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:18 am

AntLuvForever wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:21 am
You can try to go to the AntsCanada ants store or maybe Ants Australia store as well. Both really good options. I’m planning on buying my own ants a hybrid nest as soon as they’re big enough.
I agree and ants Australia has lots of tutorials on their YouTube for creating Formacariums if you feel up to it.