what happens to unpurchased queens?

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: what happens to unpurchased queens?

Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:29 pm

larynx wrote:
ooper01 wrote:AntsCanada will be releasing a few new products within a week or so, one of which will help facilitate the keeping of small colonies without the need for a formicarium. Should help us GAN farmers a bit. I can definitely say that it has helped me already.
do tell. interest piqued!
I believe Mikey will be announcing something very soon! :)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

larynx

Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:40 pm

cool!
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

idahoantgirl

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:33 am

ooper01 wrote:As a GAN farmer myself for a little over a year, I have dealt with this issue a bit and will deal with it soon in a bigger way as I have lots of queens right now with second generation workers. I have given some away for free to friends/family, done a "buy one get one free" for those coming to me from GAN, released a few of them, and then done my best to house the others.

AntsCanada will be releasing a few new products within a week or so, one of which will help facilitate the keeping of small colonies without the need for a formicarium. Should help us GAN farmers a bit. I can definitely say that it has helped me already.
Okay sonds neat!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Mdrogun

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:39 pm

Releasing queens that are native is really bad. I released a Tapinoma Sessile colony. They have killed off the 6+ other colony's around my house. Technically they are native. It does not matter they are still a invasive species in my case because they did not exist around my house before.

WillWithAnts

Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:09 pm

Releasing queens that are native is really bad. I released a Tapinoma Sessile colony. They have killed off the 6+ other colony's around my house. Technically they are native. It does not matter they are still a invasive species in my case because they did not exist around my house before.
What you are talking about isn't invasiveness, it is just that your released colony is aggressive. I'd just call that domination.

Jharrell23867

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:48 pm

I just caught a queen but after i had some of the experienced people on these forums I.D. it for me she is not the species i am looking for so i was debating on turning her loose once she got enough workers & brood to have a head start when i release her.

Lukestewart

Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:03 pm

Is there any GAN suppliers in Adelaide South Australia?

Also how long does it take to be able to use the private message function on here? Found someone who lives nearby to me on here and be great to get in contact. Will make life easier getting to know when thinks are happening here.

Theantguy13

Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:43 am

What if you release them into a little hole that you can easily dig with anything pointy and long (I.e. a pencil or pen or even a straw)?