Nervous about buying from a GAN farmer

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

plumber

Nervous about buying from a GAN farmer

Tue May 17, 2022 12:35 pm

For people who have bought from a GAN farmer, what is the interaction like? I don't know why, but I am nervous about buying a queen ant.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Nervous about buying from a GAN farmer

Tue May 17, 2022 4:31 pm

plumber wrote:
For people who have bought from a GAN farmer, what is the interaction like? I don't know why, but I am nervous about buying a queen ant.
Hasn’t replied, been 6 months. Use the phone number, not email. Most people aren’t up-to date…

Good luck! ;)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

plumber

Tue May 17, 2022 6:50 pm

What?

AntsLuxembourg

Wed May 18, 2022 6:45 am

Mine was okay. Got a Lasius Queen and arranged with the GAN Team to get in touch with the guy. Guess I got lucky.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

plumber

Wed May 18, 2022 11:00 am

When you buy, are there usually any conversations? Or is it just like buy, and go.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed May 18, 2022 1:09 pm

plumber wrote:
When you buy, are there usually any conversations? Or is it just like buy, and go.
I believe since no one follows Guidelines provided to be a GAN farmer,I think it is: just here ya go, got any questions?

Also, if available use phone number NOT email

plumber

Wed May 18, 2022 4:39 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:09 pm
plumber wrote:
I believe since no one follows Guidelines provided to be a GAN farmer,I think it is: just here ya go, got any questions?

Also, if available use phone number NOT email

Oh, alright. Thank you! (:

NKantsalberta

Thu May 19, 2022 8:40 pm

plumber wrote:
Hey, I am on the GAN. Typically the conversation starts via email chain from AntsCanada, then the buyer reaches out to the GAN farmer for what they are looking for. I provide a fairly detailed response to my buyers. But it definitely depends on the seller. Many are out to just make a quick buck, whereas I aim to provide as much assistance as possible to help the buyer raise a successful colony and not waste their time and money. Most of my buyers remain in contact with me, even a couple years after purchase.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

plumber

Thu May 19, 2022 10:05 pm

NKantsalberta wrote:
plumber wrote:
Hey, I am on the GAN. Typically the conversation starts via email chain from AntsCanada, then the buyer reaches out to the GAN farmer for what they are looking for. I provide a fairly detailed response to my buyers. But it definitely depends on the seller. Many are out to just make a quick buck, whereas I aim to provide as much assistance as possible to help the buyer raise a successful colony and not waste their time and money. Most of my buyers remain in contact with me, even a couple years after purchase.

Oh, wow. Thank you very much for this response. :D

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri May 20, 2022 9:01 am

NKantsalberta wrote:
plumber wrote:
The GAN project isn’t moderated, as many farmers are inactive or don’t update their page. I am not sure if AC doesn’t update it frequently, or people just don’t let them know to change it.

Like you said, it absolutely depends on the seller.