Soon to be Arizona GAN farmer

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

mugushie

Re: Soon to be Arizona GAN farmer

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Not to sher on meet up I'm up in globe but if a gang farmer starts up in pheonix I am more than willing to suport on what I hope will be a great season planning on catching as many species as well as as much as I can started by getting 50 test tubes for only 5 bucks for the first flight will get more if season is fruitful got tons of room for formicarium and it is a nice basement so regulated temp any tips on building formicarium and out worlds?

mugushie

Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:01 pm

:D hi all just wanted to give a status update saw some ant movement today around my kids school I will try and post some pics I took but to me it looks like just some foraging at first I thought they were widening entrance for elites but after touching the soil it wa as hard as rock and not loose at all walked away for mabe 10-20 min when I came back almost all retreated back in but still had guards at enterance

MichaelJones

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:23 pm

At least we know they are getting more active, There is an ant colony in my front yard and there are slightly more ants then usual. I'll keep an eye on them, but if I see an elite, I'm hesitant about catching them in case they just gotten out and haven't mated yet.

KingKyle26

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:02 pm

If you are referring to ant reproductives, they are called "alates". Elite is defined as the choice or best of anything considered collectively.

MichaelJones

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:03 pm

That is what I meant sorry.

MichaelJones

Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:57 pm

Been a few days, any updates or new info?

mugushie

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:02 pm

Nothing to big up this way you?

MichaelJones

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Nothing so far, like stated earlier. I been keeping my eye on an ant colony out in my front yard. No change in activity, the colony's surface is still hard (Which I believe should soften up when nuptial flight begins, may be wrong though). And the entrance remains small. No queen ants have been spotted either.

mugushie

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:25 pm

One thing I was thinking is all of us should go to a new thread that is i like genreal discussion or journal and have it named like arizona ant fans or something like that