Selling ants

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Selling ants

Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:54 pm

Can I Sell Solenopsis Invicta? If not, how do I dispose of them. If I recall, there are some for sale on the GAN project I think.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

CombinedHalo467

Re: Selling ants

Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:18 pm

You might just have to put them in the freezer to humanly.
A prenolepis imparis colony with repletes and a big queen also 10 chickens and 1 annoying brother.

Ants Are Awesome

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:40 pm

CombinedHalo467 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:18 pm
You might just have to put them in the freezer to humanly.
So no to selling…. Would they merge into a super colony? I thought invicta was know to do this in the wild.

Antloverhuman

Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:49 am

Mickey from AntsCanada said that he was going to sell his queen ant which he caught a couple of months ago which was s. Geminata. so i guess you can sell your queens too. But only people who are good at keeping quick growing ant species will buy it. So i dont think you have alot of luck. And also you said where you live there are only invicta queens so people will have more chance of just getting them from the wild rather than to buy it.
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:58 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
But only people who are good at keeping quick growing ant species will buy it.
I don't think that would prevent starts from getting a colony and then releasing them into the wild.

I would recommend you to ask the GAN Project Team. If I'm not mistaken AC will sell that queen he caught but I am sure he would not just give it to anyone who asks but questions them first to make sure that ant keeper is capable of taking care of the colony.

Anyway I personally wouldn't sell them since first they are invasive to the US and second there are already more than enough colonies out there from which the potential buyers can catch a queen themself.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:05 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:58 am
Antloverhuman wrote:
But only people who are good at keeping quick growing ant species will buy it.
I don't think that would prevent starts from getting a colony and then releasing them into the wild.

I would recommend you to ask the GAN Project Team. If I'm not mistaken AC will sell that queen he caught but I am sure he would not just give it to anyone who asks but questions them first to make sure that ant keeper is capable of taking care of the colony.

Anyway I personally wouldn't sell them since first they are invasive to the US and second there are already more than enough colonies out there from which the potential buyers can catch a queen themself.
So if multiple survive, I will do more experiments on them. Maybe merge into supercolony?

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:07 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Mickey from AntsCanada said that he was going to sell his queen ant which he caught a couple of months ago which was s. Geminata. so i guess you can sell your queens too. But only people who are good at keeping quick growing ant species will buy it. So i dont think you have alot of luck. And also you said where you live there are only invicta queens so people will have more chance of just getting them from the wild rather than to buy it.
There are mostly invicta queens. Very few Camponotus and their price is up. Odontomachus ruginodis is technically invasive, but not. It is not native to Florida, but does not cause any damage to the environment. Could I possible sell these queens?

Antloverhuman

Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:24 am

How do you know they dont cause any damages? Maybe they have a diet containing certain insects that are very few in your area and if these ants live there they can kill those insects.
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:25 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:24 am
How do you know they dont cause any damages? Maybe they have a diet containing certain insects that are very few in your area and if these ants live there they can kill those insects.
I looked at some scientific articles from the usf library of science.(Someone printed for me and gave)

SYUTEO

Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:29 am

I heard someone bought a queen of S. invicta and have the USDA bust into his house.