Laws regarding selling of ants.

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

Bierschneeman

Laws regarding selling of ants.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:26 pm

I recently applied to be GAN farmer, since there is none in my state, I am willing to sell some off too spread ant love. (not intending to collect or sell a lot.)

Anyway i was informed by AntsCanada GAN project, the ants i was attempting to sell were illegal to sell in USA. I tried to find out other legal restrictions but havent received a reply.

what are the legal restrictions for selling ants in USA (i know the mail one, i know the no crossing state lines, i now know Solenopsis invicta)

any other ants illegal to sell?
non native Solenopsis geminata?
non native Argentine ant?
non native raspberry crazy ants?
any endangered species we need to avoid as well?
is it illegal to give away Solenopsis invicta for free?

thanks in advance
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile
1 Nylanderia terricola/vivulda

Colonies:
1 Brachymyrmex patagonicus
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

The difference between a hobby and a scientific pursuit, is detailed notes.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Laws regarding selling of ants.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Bierschneeman wrote:
I recently applied to be GAN farmer, since there is none in my state, I am willing to sell some off too spread ant love. (not intending to collect or sell a lot.)

Anyway i was informed by AntsCanada GAN project, the ants i was attempting to sell were illegal to sell in USA. I tried to find out other legal restrictions but havent received a reply.

what are the legal restrictions for selling ants in USA (i know the mail one, i know the no crossing state lines, i now know Solenopsis invicta)

thanks in advance
Simply put, any species that's considered a invasive species are not to be sold, traded, shipped, or given away to others. The US Government and other Countries have many departments covering invasive species ranging from plants, animals, fish, insects, and so forth. We at AntsCanada wish to meet the requirements of these departments by obeying the laws and also to help deter the spreading of these invasive species. In doing so some ants fall under these laws and regulations and have been removed or not offered on the GAN project.Prime example is Solenopsis of any genesis, Argentine ants, we will not allow those in the GAN Project due to them being a highly invasive species.

You can do a Google search of invasive ants for any country and you will find a list of the species for that area or country.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Bierschneeman

Re: Laws regarding selling of ants.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:13 am

MadVampy wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:01 pm
Bierschneeman wrote:

thanks in advance
Simply put, any species that's considered a invasive species are not to be sold, traded, shipped, or given away to others. The US Government and other Countries have many departments covering invasive species ranging from plants, animals, fish, insects, and so forth. We at AntsCanada wish to meet the requirements of these departments by obeying the laws and also to help deter the spreading of these invasive species. In doing so some ants fall under these laws and regulations and have been removed or not offered on the GAN project.Prime example is Solenopsis of any genesis, Argentine ants, we will not allow those in the GAN Project due to them being a highly invasive species.

You can do a Google search of invasive ants for any country and you will find a list of the species for that area or country.
thank you for the quick and informative response. It is exactly the information I was looking for.

I regret to inform that maybe some house keeping of the GAN project might be in order. I just now was glancing through to acquaint myself with how they have ants listed, i noticed a lot of Solenopsis for sale. in particular geminata.

Thank you again for the quick , informative response. It will help me not make a similar blunder again.
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile
1 Nylanderia terricola/vivulda

Colonies:
1 Brachymyrmex patagonicus
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

The difference between a hobby and a scientific pursuit, is detailed notes.