Search for GAN in Washington (Seattle) - Possibly colony

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

Michail1

Search for GAN in Washington (Seattle) - Possibly colony

Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:05 pm

I spent time last season walking around trying to find a queen with no results.
I tried the GAN list in which there was a person awhile ago and a price, but they were removed from the list and nothing happened (no one else). I was hoping they would come back to the list, but didn't.

I am not asking for a free setup. Happy to pay.

I believe this would be a nice project for my son and I. I would need hand holding (questions), but happy to purchase recommended setups.

Anyone have a recommendation on how to find a queen (with workers) and/or a small colony?
Anyone in the area moving that can't take their colony with them (adoption).

Batspiderfish

Re: Search for GAN in Washington (Seattle) - Possibly colony

Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:57 pm

What sort of conditions were around you during your search for queens last season? Most ants prefer to fly one or two days after rain, during 70+ degree F warm periods. Overcast is the best time to go looking for them.

It also helps to figure out what species of ant are in your immediate proximity, wherein you can figure out exactly which time of the year to go looking for their queens.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Michail1

Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Just happened to come back to the forum to see someone responded. Strange, I thought I would get an email notification. Maybe issue with AOL. Not in spam folder.

Son and I went out many days in July and August since they are the 2 warmest months on of the year in Seattle although barely in the 70s and seemed to be the Nuptial times. No luck. Admittedly, don't know quite where to look, etc. This is why we tried the GAN idea, but once the price was given, the supplier dropped off. So, no luck there.

Overcast? Never heard of that in the Seattle area. HEH.
Rain, no lack of that. I don't know if we waited specifically one or two days after a rain each time.

Mainly, I don't want to wait in hopes of finding a queen (or some) and worry about losing out another year. Would be nice to line something up prior and get an established setup prior.

This will be a first. So, there is no preference towards any species. Even pavement ants. Thought carpenter since they're bigger. Camponotus although slow to expand.

Leiningen

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:36 am

Hi! I'm a fellow Washington beginner ant enthusiast. I saw how much trouble you are having finding a colony. I'm really interested in becoming a GAN for Washington especially as we apparently don't have one anymore in our state.
That being said I only just stated in September and of the ants I caught last year only one has begun to grow into anything ( I think she is a Lasias niger, right now just eggs that have started to grow into larva? In a test tube) I wasn't planing on selling this queen as its my first and has been really exciting watching it grow but with how long you guys have been looking, I would be willing to sell it for $60. If that's to much I will have more that aren't my first colony as soon as they start flying again in my area and I will get on the actual GAN list!

Leiningen

Michail1

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Strange.
I didn't get a notification of a response.

I would love to talk to you. It appears I can't message you directly.

Mortamir

Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Late response😀.. I have several queen camponotis that I will be posting on the GAN page as soon as they lay there eggs. If you are still interested. I live about 40 minutes SE of Seattle. Check the gan page in the next week or two.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Laevigatus
Formica sp.
Lasius Flavus
Camponotus Modoc
Polyrhacis Dives
Camponotus friedae

Michail1

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Mortamir wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:22 pm
Late response😀.. I have several queen camponotis that I will be posting on the GAN page as soon as they lay there eggs. If you are still interested. I live about 40 minutes SE of Seattle. Check the gan page in the next week or two.
Thanks.... Leiningen took care of me.

I have to admit, I haven't done my best to take care of them; however, she hasn't died on me yet.

Currently about 15 eggs and about 10 workers.

Mortamir

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:21 pm

Go to this page https://www.AntsCanada.com/queen-ants-for-sale/

and choose US and scroll down to Washington. There are several options from different people and areas from WA. Including myself. Have fun anting.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Laevigatus
Formica sp.
Lasius Flavus
Camponotus Modoc
Polyrhacis Dives
Camponotus friedae