Is this a queen ?

Learn how to obtain ant colonies for your formicariums or sell your ant colonies locally in a legal and ecologically-friendly manner through the GAN Project.

Moderator: ooper01

DaniahPuFFinBIRD
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:52 am
Location: Denmark

Is this a queen ?

Post: # 41571Post DaniahPuFFinBIRD
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:05 am

Hi, this is my first post so I don't know how to upload a picture :roll: when I try to attach a file it won't allow pictures :?:

I think I found a queen in my house, however I am new to all this and don't know what to look for :D can somebody help ?

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Is this a queen ?

Post: # 41572Post AntsIkhlef
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:25 am

DaniahPuFFinBIRD wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:05 am
Hi, this is my first post so I don't know how to upload a picture :roll: when I try to attach a file it won't allow pictures :?:

I think I found a queen in my house, however I am new to all this and don't know what to look for :D can somebody help ?
Go on a website like imgbb.co and download a picture, then copy the link and paste IT here
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have yet to found my first colony! :geek:

Keeper of:

1x Formica sp.
2x Lasius niger
1x (Formica sp.)

🐜❤️4ever

DaniahPuFFinBIRD
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:52 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Is this a queen ?

Post: # 41573Post DaniahPuFFinBIRD
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:48 am

Image hope this works picture link https://ibb.co/hNbSBy

User avatar
StormDancer
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:57 am
Location: Southeastern New Mexico

Re: Is this a queen ?

Post: # 41616Post StormDancer
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:40 am

Yes it is a queen. Batspiderfish will likely be your best bet for a positive ID on here.
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!

TheRealAntMan
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Chicago,Illinois

Re: Is this a queen ?

Post: # 41630Post TheRealAntMan
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:50 pm

Camponotus, most likely from the Herculeanus group. But we can wait on the pro identifier.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

DaniahPuFFinBIRD
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:52 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Is this a queen ?

Post: # 41661Post DaniahPuFFinBIRD
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:49 pm

Thanks for all the comments :D now I just hope it survives as it's my first try :?

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Is this a queen ?

Post: # 41687Post AntsIkhlef
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:58 am

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:50 pm
Camponotus, most likely from the Herculeanus group. But we can wait on the pro identifier.
Man hearculeanus is awesome! They are polymorphic witch is super cool!
Good luck hope she makes it!
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have yet to found my first colony! :geek:

Keeper of:

1x Formica sp.
2x Lasius niger
1x (Formica sp.)

🐜❤️4ever

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Is this a queen ?

Post: # 41688Post AntsIkhlef
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:04 am

DaniahPuFFinBIRD wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:05 am
Hi, this is my first post so I don't know how to upload a picture :roll: when I try to attach a file it won't allow pictures :?:

I think I found a queen in my house, however I am new to all this and don't know what to look for :D can somebody help ?
Dude i was wondering If you could tell me at wich date, time, location and weather it was when you caught her! Maybe even her size If you can!

Sorry for sounding a little bit Weird I'm obsesed with these Ants and dream of having some!
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have yet to found my first colony! :geek:

Keeper of:

1x Formica sp.
2x Lasius niger
1x (Formica sp.)

🐜❤️4ever

DaniahPuFFinBIRD
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:52 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Is this a queen ?

Post: # 41781Post DaniahPuFFinBIRD
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:19 am

I'm living at a olive farm, by the east Spanish coast(mainland). she came inside my house, after 2 days with heavy wind and big cloud's. 8-)

I was looking at the nearby ant hill/hole, where lots of ants with wings left their old home.
sadly I went inside as I didn't find any queens, which had taken off their wings. :(
then my little brother found a big ant inside the house. :D

Then I opened the question in here :lol:

Size hard to say about 14-16 mm.
Time/date: around 9 or 10 pm - 18th of July

However I had to set her free, as my testube was an old spice box. And she didn't look to survive, and I will rather have a healthy queen in my garden, than a dead one in a badly made testube. :roll:

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Is this a queen ?

Post: # 41820Post AntsIkhlef
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:20 pm

DaniahPuFFinBIRD wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:19 am
I'm living at a olive farm, by the east Spanish coast(mainland). she came inside my house, after 2 days with heavy wind and big cloud's. 8-)

I was looking at the nearby ant hill/hole, where lots of ants with wings left their old home.
sadly I went inside as I didn't find any queens, which had taken off their wings. :(
then my little brother found a big ant inside the house. :D

Then I opened the question in here :lol:

Size hard to say about 14-16 mm.
Time/date: around 9 or 10 pm - 18th of July

However I had to set her free, as my testube was an old spice box. And she didn't look to survive, and I will rather have a healthy queen in my garden, than a dead one in a badly made testube. :roll:
Oh! Thank yu So much!

Too bad you had to Release her hope you find something else!
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have yet to found my first colony! :geek:

Keeper of:

1x Formica sp.
2x Lasius niger
1x (Formica sp.)

🐜❤️4ever

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests