Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

zkublin

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Thu May 26, 2016 1:16 pm

noebl1 wrote:Not sure if stragglers from last night but just had a Camponotus queen still with wings cross my path on a sidewalk on the way to an appt just now.
My guess would be its a straggler from last night, or they could be pulling a double header, flying yesterday and today.

noebl1

Thu May 26, 2016 2:15 pm

FYI it's a double header. Just came home and the Camponotus are swarming right now. They sprayed my foundation at 1:30pm today (earlier than expected) and a ton of dead queens. Bunch all over lawn running around too. Looks like Camponotus novaeboracensis as well. Captured what I think may be 2 males, not sure.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

noebl1

Thu May 26, 2016 2:40 pm

Definitely swarming... confirmed:
Camponotus pennsylvanicus
Camponotus novaeboracensis

and I *think* I saw a
Camponotus Americanus... but it got away before I could grab it.

They are everywhere at the moment flying and running around.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

noebl1

Thu May 26, 2016 3:32 pm

Missed out on a Camponotus Myrmentoma species as well... fast. Camponotus pennsylvanicus *everywhere* still, in grass, under objects, flying, etc.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

noebl1

Thu May 26, 2016 9:21 pm

They are still flying... both males and queens, and the ones that flew earlier are now moving to find places to hide. Walked around outside with a flashlight and in some places there were 5+ in a square meter. Lost count with how many I saw. Several Camponotus Myrmentoma of some sort as well; took a few pics to ID later. One I thought was a pennsylvanicus at first but underside all orange. 1/3 of its gaster is orange too, but thorax top is black so don't think it's a novaeboracensis either. Grabbed it and will take some pics to ID tomorrow. Going to have nightmares I saw so many tonight... wow. Now if only lasius is 1/2 this good I'll be golden... :lol:
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

noebl1

Thu May 26, 2016 9:30 pm

Found it! Looks like a Camponotus chromaiodes.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

zkublin

Fri May 27, 2016 8:22 am

Just snagged another Camponotus while walking the block from my parking spot to my office!

thescienceguy1980

Fri May 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Lucky MASS peeps! I have some, but am obsessed with Camponotus! That's my genus : )

noebl1

Fri May 27, 2016 2:32 pm

thescienceguy1980 wrote:Lucky MASS peeps! I have some, but am obsessed with Camponotus! That's my genus : )
You say that, until you see 40+ along the foundation of your house :lol: No joke, I must have seen well over 100 between the driveway (about 450' long) and along the house and 1/2 acre cleared area with house is in the woods. Amazing how many I saw; so many... so so so many last night. There were even clusters where 3 or 4 were following each other across the driveway or steps.

I now have 2 different species of Camponotus Myrmentoma, but may end up releasing them as really really prefer Lasius, and don't want to have to maintain a ton of different colonies atm.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

zkublin

Fri May 27, 2016 2:40 pm

noebl1 wrote:
thescienceguy1980 wrote:Lucky MASS peeps! I have some, but am obsessed with Camponotus! That's my genus : )
You say that, until you see 40+ along the foundation of your house :lol: No joke, I must have seen well over 100 between the driveway (about 450' long) and along the house and 1/2 acre cleared area with house is in the woods. Amazing how many I saw; so many... so so so many last night. There were even clusters where 3 or 4 were following each other across the driveway or steps.

I now have 2 different species of Camponotus Myrmentoma, but may end up releasing them as really really prefer Lasius, and don't want to have to maintain a ton of different colonies atm.
Before you release them post on the board and let us know. Depending on how many of my queens make it/start laying eggs I may want to adopt one or two of them.

As a note to all moderators and concerned Ant Kepers alike, as far as I know I am less than 100 miles from @noebl1 and we both live in Mass. I am not in favor of breaking any federal regulations or damaging any native ecosystems :D