Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

noebl1

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Mon May 16, 2016 4:27 pm

Just a couple... camponotus pennsylvanicus are a major issue around here for infestations, so I didn't intentionally catch any but saw a ton last Thursday. I live in the woods surrounded by conservation land, so a very popular species here. Last year I "removed" about 30+ off the foundation in one evening when they flew...

I caught two Camponotus Myrmentoma Subbartus(?) the same night, and lost a third one. I let one go as didn't drop wings and was going nuts in the test tube. When I her out she flew off, so wondering if she hadn't mated yet. Other one settled right down other than a bit of pulling at the cotton.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

AntsRule

Wed May 18, 2016 9:02 pm

Cool!!!
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

noebl1

Thu May 19, 2016 11:58 am

Warm weather today and thunderstorms rolling thru some of MA today, so keep eyes out later this afternoon/early evening.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

noebl1

Sat May 21, 2016 1:28 pm

Just caught a male Camponotus pennsylvanicus on the driveway, so they may be flying today.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

noebl1

Wed May 25, 2016 5:30 pm

camponotus pennsylvanicus are flying right now!
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

zkublin

Wed May 25, 2016 8:37 pm

noebl1 wrote:camponotus pennsylvanicus are flying right now!
Thanks! I was just about to post the same thing! I caught 2 queens so far in Somerville and Allston, so anyone in urban areas, you can catch them around our area too. One literally landed on me, she was begging to come home with me :lol:

Happy Hunting!

noebl1

Wed May 25, 2016 8:44 pm

They are still flying as well. Went outside a few minutes ago and had to persuade one off my deck ;)
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

zkublin

Thu May 26, 2016 11:01 am

noebl1 wrote:They are still flying as well. Went outside a few minutes ago and had to persuade one off my deck ;)
Well I got solid results for only checking out urban areas on this one! Thanks noebl1, I really appreciate you giving me the heads up. It makes ant hunting a lot easier when we give each other there notifications. Please please please keep posting whenever you see any other major flights take place. Seriously it is a huge help to me.

Thanks again and happy hunting everyone!

noebl1

Thu May 26, 2016 11:26 am

@zkublin No worries! Figured others would appreciate it and everyone can chime in as we see activity. The camponotus are pretty easy for me to track (as a matter of fact having quarterly foundation spraying tomorrow ;) ), it's the other's I don't see as often (except Lasius Umbratus... I see tons and tons of those still looking to invade a colony...)

Noticed end of driveway there's a bunch of Lasius Neoniger hills, and all of a sudden this spring a whole bunch of (like dozens) of Lasius Niger hills sprung up in the dryer part of our yard. Even spotted a Lasius Claviger mixed in as they stick out color-wise like a sore thumb.

Also at work there are Lasius hills *everywhere* in the parking lots in the several acres here. *hoping* to find at least one of these this season :D
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger

noebl1

Thu May 26, 2016 12:52 pm

Not sure if stragglers from last night but just had a Camponotus queen still with wings cross my path on a sidewalk on the way to an appt just now.
Tetramorium Sp E.
Lasius Neoniger