Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

zkublin

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:53 pm

More rain came through this afternoon. Come on Queens, you know you want to fly.

zkublin

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:38 am

Absolutely nothing here :cry:

nightxwolf88

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:36 am

noebl1 wrote:Tetramorium reports in NY and such... still nothing here. Also having a relative who lives around the MA/RI border check the pool skimmer, and hasn't seen any at all either.
After reading tetramorium sightings were getting abundant in PA it took about a week to start seeing any in my pool here in central NY and today was first day saw queens with out wings searching for a founding site. Maybe same delay will happen for you since just a bit north of me.

nightxwolf88

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Right before that flight in may I had just gotten into finding queens and then bam! I was walking home and there were like 4 camponotus queens per square of sidewalk, must have seen 30 at least around 230pm the whole 2 mile walk I took I mean they were everywhere so kinda gave me some unreal expectations for other flights :lol: I still always look but I think camponotus queens are so big they are just bout impossible to miss but have not had the same luck with other genus. Today found all three tetramorium in the same corner of sidewalk and then didn't see any others until one a mile away.

zkublin

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:12 pm

I went walking on my lunch break but found nothing :( . Let me know if you see anything.

zkublin

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:44 pm

I don't think we missed it. I find it hard to believe that such a common ant has such a short nuptial flight window. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I won't give up hope yet. Maybe you just found males who left too early (fingers crossed).

zkublin

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:03 am

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I will keep my eye out today!

zkublin

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:05 am

PS. Caught what I think is another Campanotus queen yesterday around lunch time. I'll post a pic and see if y'all agree but I am fairly sure it was a Camp.

nightxwolf88

Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:16 pm

Nicely done :D Its awesome to see you got someone to help. Its nice to cover more area, just wish I could get my girlfriend to look for queens at her house :lol:

PielikeDie

Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:54 pm

nightxwolf88 wrote:Nicely done :D Its awesome to see you got someone to help. Its nice to cover more area, just wish I could get my girlfriend to look for queens at her house :lol:
LOL My friend Zipter has to hide all his ants from his Girlfriend...let alone tell her to help him :lol: