Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Shaidar

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:50 am

I'm not sure if the Tetramorium are still flying but I just caught dealate running along the floor in my hallway in Newton. We're on the second floor of a duplex and don't normally have non-pet ants running around so my guess is they're still flying after the rain yesterday.

nightxwolf88

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:18 am

Shaidar wrote:I'm not sure if the Tetramorium are still flying but I just caught dealate running along the floor in my hallway in Newton. We're on the second floor of a duplex and don't normally have non-pet ants running around so my guess is they're still flying after the rain yesterday.
Didn't rain yesterday here in new York but was very humid. On my way to work saw a few no winged queens bumbling around idk if left over from the big flight here yesterday or if flew this morning again

Shaidar

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:52 pm

noebl1 wrote:Camponotus Pennsylvanicus are definitely flying tonight; saw several of them a few mins ago outside, even buzzed my head with the flashlight a couple times.
Interesting, I was flipping rocks in the woods on Thursday looking for founding chambers and all of the camp penn colonies I disturbed didn't have alates visible, tons of Aphaenogaster alates though when I flipped them.

zkublin

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:44 pm

Man I haven't seen much activity around Allston :cry: . Not sure why but I have not seen any Tetramorium at all. Maybe I am not going out late enough or something.

Shaidar

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:23 am

noebl1 wrote:
zkublin wrote:Man I haven't seen much activity around Allston :cry: . Not sure why but I have not seen any Tetramorium at all. Maybe I am not going out late enough or something.
Want some? :) I have too many Camponotus and tetramorium... welcome to some :) (Anyone in MA looking for some, PM me...)

Was just watching a Lasius colony forcing male alates out of the nest; was weird to watch. No one was flying and no queens, just a few males being forced out (hard to get shots as only had my phone, can see them a in the grass if you look.)

I'm new enough that I can't PM on the boards yet but I might be interested in a Camponotus or two. You might be able to PM me despite me being new?

AntsRule

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:42 pm

It is against the rules to negotiate over the forum, I do not want you to get a warning. Just join GAN and do it through that. :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

nightxwolf88

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:39 pm

You can absolutely give away free colonies thru the gan. It is done through gan and not the forums because there are strick laws pertaining to the transport of queen species from place to place. You cannot cross state lines or even transport a queen more than 200 miles from origin. It can cause a lot of damage to an ecosystem if a new ant species is introduced. The GAN allows it to be monitored easier so we aren't breaking any national laws haha

nightxwolf88

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:58 pm

noebl1 wrote:@nightxwolf88 Thanks for the info. I did a bunch of Google searches prior and couldn't find anything with GAN and giving them away. Thanks!
Of course :) . I recently got more information because i will have workers eclosing with my queens soon and will be joining gan once I do. The AntsCanada website have some info and there is an email to reach if you are interested. I emailed them and got a reply within a day and they were very helpful giving me the knowledge I was seeking.

AntsQuebec

Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:20 pm

noebl1 wrote:Anyone seeing anything? Reported that Tetramorium flew in Montreal, Quebec on Sat night. I was out that night walking with a flash light looking around and didn't see anything other than a termite alate.
hi, i'm from montreal too :)

zkublin

Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:37 am

noebl1 wrote:Lasius alienus and Temnothorax flying tonight. Again attracted to lights so super easy to catch. Tons of L. Alienus mostly male alates while I was out there, but wasn't out too long. Just released one of my Temnothorax alates that hadn't laid eggs and still had wings (super active). Good luck to her tonight :)
Thanks for all the updates. The smaller species are a lot harder to spot here in the urban areas, I have been struggling. I am going to keep an eye out though. I wish I had a place not so close to the city, probably would be having more success like you are.