Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Re: Massachusetts Flight Sightings

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:45 am

noebl1 wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:More Byrachymyrmex depilis tonight. A few Lasius alienus queens showed up, as well as one Lasius nearcticus! The big, late-summer Lasius spp. flights should be coming up soon. :D

I'm predicting to see more where that came from on Thursday and Friday night, here in Portland, Maine.
I've seen a few Lasius alienus male alates, and I can see them flying out around sunset from their nests, but not really attracted much to the lights. Going to try pulling a full spectrum aquarium light tonight and see if that helps.
Haha, the aquarium lamps sure work, but I've got to invest in a black light for next year. Since (freshwater) aquarium lamps try so hard for the red spectrum, a lot of my light is invisible to the ants. So inefficient! I bet they'll love salt water aquarium lights, so long as they are florescent/led and not metal halide! :D
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Austheboss

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:10 pm

noebl1 wrote:
Austheboss wrote:YES!
It turns out now is the time for the ants to fly at my camp! ;) I already caught one, and I saw dead males, and queens flying around (didn't catch them because when I tried catching the flying ones they only wanted to fly away again) I was able to catch one in the afternoon with no wings. There was another but it crawled under a root. Looks like I'm going to be fine in terms of ants in my area.
That's great! Any idea what you got?
I did some googling with "black Lasius" and Lasius Niger came up as a match in the images. It looks like a Camponutus Pennsylvanicus but with a wider gaster, in both online and mine. Does this fit Lasius Niger? I hope it is because it looks like a decently large species. Didn't manage to catch anything today, it wasn't as hot. Hoping to get more though :)
.---- ..--- ..--- .....-----

Batspiderfish

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:14 pm

Lasius niger is not common in North America, so it's probably a different species of Lasius. You'd have to go by its fine anatomical details.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Austheboss

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:59 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Lasius niger is not common in North America, so it's probably a different species of Lasius. You'd have to go by its fine anatomical details.
:lol: lol probably should have looked that up, when thinking that it was a Niger. Lasius does seem to be a rather large genus though. My bad. Better keep googling. :mrgreen:

Austheboss

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:34 pm

BatSpiderFish said "Lasius niger is not common in North America, so it's probably a different species of Lasius".

I'm pretty sure I got formica subsericea. Weird time to get it though. It looks more like the formica one than the Lasius Niger, which is why I'm pretty sure it's the formica, because it still really looks like lasius niger. :) :D

Batspiderfish

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:18 am

Austheboss wrote:BatSpiderFish said "Lasius niger is not common in North America, so it's probably a different species of Lasius".

I'm pretty sure I got formica subsericea. Weird time to get it though. It looks more like the formica one than the Lasius Niger, which is why I'm pretty sure it's the formica, because it still really looks like lasius niger. :) :D
You should probably post an ID thread. :)

Batspiderfish

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:35 am

noebl1 wrote:@batspiderfish: Did you see any pheidole species this season? Really weird as I haven't seen any here in MA and watching formiculture and this forum, haven't seen much talk about them except down in PA/NJ/NY. Wondering how much the drought here has really messed up flights this year.
Pheidole doesn't seem to be present anywhere in Maine except possibly the southernmost corner. Pheidole pilifera and P. bicarinata are normally July fliers.

Austheboss

Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:42 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Austheboss wrote:BatSpiderFish said "Lasius niger is not common in North America, so it's probably a different species of Lasius".

You should probably post an ID thread. :)
Ok, I think I actually might. Be sure to keep an eye out :lol: But how do I make pictures appear in the post? I mean not with a link. I've seen pictures on the forum without having to click or paste links. This would help. I have seen Madvampy's tutorial but I don't want to create an account on photo bucket. Is this what's creating the photos?
Also, the file thing isn't seem to be able to hold enough to for even one photo which is why I'm not using it.
Thanks in advance!

Batspiderfish

Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:25 pm

The Autumn Lasius armageddon has arrived in Portland, Maine.

Batspiderfish

Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:42 pm

noebl1 wrote:@Batspiderfish are the female alates attracted to lights like the males? The one female we found was in the back yard, my daughter spotted her in about 30s of stepping outside.
They are, but their mated status is questionable until they shed their wings.