Queen ID California Mountains?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

carsonlastname

Queen ID California Mountains?

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:53 pm

I have captured what I think is a queen ant (possible termite) in Arrowhead California USA and I would like help to identify it. I was unable to get great pictures of it, but there sure are plenty of photos. Please comment on the document, or email me at carsonlastname@gmail.com . Thank you. Heres the link to the images. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qn4gKCPlHwczQl3EYTs8q9j7gPEkZ8uA0Zlpx1f_i2E/edit?usp=sharing :D

PTasker15

Re: Queen ID California Mountains?

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:47 am

Its probably either a parasetic queen ant or some wierd wasp.Never seen something that skinny.Maybe a camponotus Male?
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen ID California Mountains?

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:43 pm

We can't see the queen well in any of these, and they are mostly from a useless angle. Can we please get an unobstructed view? Could be Lasius subumbratus, but it would be hazardous to introduce host workers without confirming the ID. You can feed her in the meanwhile.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.