Myrmica Rubra more possible to catch then I could have imagined :)

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o

Myrmica Rubra more possible to catch then I could have imagined :)

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:44 am

Okay so I was wondering around looking for tetramorium ceaspitum queens and in the process I came across Rubra colony having a field day gathering males and female alates of the ever abundant lasius nigers.

I am so excited because even tho it is the first time seeing these guys in the flesh. I am not worried because not all queens fly off and some mate at the nest with males from other nests.

However I do not know much on their flight times. What times have always been a winner for catching these guys. Morning or evening?
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Myrmica Rubra more possible to catch then I could have imagined :)

Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:34 am

Hunter36o wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:44 am
Okay so I was wondering around looking for tetramorium ceaspitum queens and in the process I came across Rubra colony having a field day gathering males and female alates of the ever abundant lasius nigers.

I am so excited because even tho it is the first time seeing these guys in the flesh. I am not worried because not all queens fly off and some mate at the nest with males from other nests.

However I do not know much on their flight times. What times have always been a winner for catching these guys. Morning or evening?
Morning would work for any species. Really, as the ones that mate at night will dig holes in the morning, and the ones that matebduring morning, are easy to catch.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…