Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40488Post Hunter36o
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:23 pm

Same. I think I will try get some this year to get used to their care as they are semi-clostural. But once they look like they are going to succeed, I may just give them off on the GAN because I am still a beginner myself. But since i know now where a stable colony is hanging out I will be sure to keep an eye out for queens.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40584Post AntsIkhlef
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:53 am

Hunter36o wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:23 pm
Same. I think I will try get some this year to get used to their care as they are semi-clostural. But once they look like they are going to succeed, I may just give them off on the GAN because I am still a beginner myself. But since i know now where a stable colony is hanging out I will be sure to keep an eye out for queens.
GAN ey!

Personally I’m wayyyyy to young! I’m barely 13 soooo.... yeah for the next years I will just be gaining experience,
Then I might join GAN for Sweden or France (my other home)
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever

Hunter36o
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40588Post Hunter36o
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:44 am

Hey the younger the better. You can learn more in a shorter amount of time once you want to.

I am 25 at the end of the week (Sunday) so GAN is am option. It really depends on the Myrmica though. They are one of the hardest to find here in Ireland. Like I am lucky I found the colony yesterday and it is only because they were catching the Lasius males and females alates and it is the only one I am aware of and its in my work area and not my home so my timing will need to be perfect. Although I am struggling getting preferred times for their flights at the moment. I know season wise it is soon.

I am going to need more set ups tho. I already have 8 tubes with Laius Niger queens. And I still also have to find tetramorium queens. I do not really want to limit the GAN to 2 species.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40620Post Hunter36o
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:18 am

First Lasius Niger queen has laid 3 eggs. I feel like a proud daddy all over again. Haha
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40638Post AntsIkhlef
Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Hunter36o wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:44 am
Hey the younger the better. You can learn more in a shorter amount of time once you want to.

I am 25 at the end of the week (Sunday) so GAN is am option. It really depends on the Myrmica though. They are one of the hardest to find here in Ireland. Like I am lucky I found the colony yesterday and it is only because they were catching the Lasius males and females alates and it is the only one I am aware of and its in my work area and not my home so my timing will need to be perfect. Although I am struggling getting preferred times for their flights at the moment. I know season wise it is soon.

I am going to need more set ups tho. I already have 8 tubes with Laius Niger queens. And I still also have to find tetramorium queens. I do not really want to limit the GAN to 2 species.
Oh damn happy birthday in advance!
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40679Post AntsIkhlef
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:50 am

Gotcha!
Queen caught! (Undergoing Identification)
She is little; about 6 mms,

Caught in S. France! I hope she is present in Sweden!

Ooohhh man I'm stoked!

https://ibb.co/h3Jeu8

Sorry for bad photos This is not my Main Request for ID!
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40801Post AntsIkhlef
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:36 am

AntsIkhlef wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:50 am
Gotcha!
Queen caught! (Undergoing Identification)
She is little; about 6 mms,

Caught in S. France! I hope she is present in Sweden!

Ooohhh man I'm stoked!

https://ibb.co/h3Jeu8

Sorry for bad photos This is not my Main Request for ID!
Eh. That’s embarrasing.
It was a Male.

Welp anyways i got a new Queen!

But.

She is Pheidole. :evil: :x
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40867Post AntsIkhlef
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:20 pm

YES!

Finally a breakthrough!
I caught a Queen that is not Pheidole. Altought I am unsure of wich species (were’s Batspiderfish right :lol: ), it is refreshing!
There seems like this is an early Queen as I havn’t Seen any other Queens of this kind!
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever

ClashOwenBash
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:58 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 41203Post ClashOwenBash
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Yet another day of Lasius Niger nuptial flights for S.England. Not even any Flavus to spice it up a little! Probably waiting for some rain, unlike the L.Niger which don't seem to stop! (much to the local Myrmica pleasure)
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 41774Post AntsIkhlef
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:57 am

Yes!

Now i’ve Got a total of four queens in my new industry!
One Formica sp. which is my favorite!
I call her Wonder Woman as she survived a 5 hour long train trip without dying of stress! She didn’t even eat her eggs! Now she has got a grand total of about 7-10 eggs and is pumping ‘em out like Victorian England’s Factory’s!

Lasius niger also seems to have Nuptial Flight or has had it a very close time ago as the ground is full of them! I captured so many! But I decided to release all but three as I didn’t feel the need for more!

This was on the 19th of July here in Sweden! This is crazy tho as the biggest drought since a century back is happening here but these ladies seems to be fond of it!

Pics will be posted if you guys want!

Hope it goes good for you!
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest