Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40488Post Hunter36o
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:23 pm

Same. I think I will try get some this year to get used to their care as they are semi-clostural. But once they look like they are going to succeed, I may just give them off on the GAN because I am still a beginner myself. But since i know now where a stable colony is hanging out I will be sure to keep an eye out for queens.
Founding stage:
9x Lasius Niger
1x Myrmica Rubra

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40584Post AntsIkhlef
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:53 am

Hunter36o wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:23 pm
Same. I think I will try get some this year to get used to their care as they are semi-clostural. But once they look like they are going to succeed, I may just give them off on the GAN because I am still a beginner myself. But since i know now where a stable colony is hanging out I will be sure to keep an eye out for queens.
GAN ey!

Personally I’m wayyyyy to young! I’m barely 13 soooo.... yeah for the next years I will just be gaining experience,
Then I might join GAN for Sweden or France (my other home)
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have yet to found my first colony! :geek:

Keeper of:

1x Formica sp.
2x Lasius niger
1x (Formica sp.)

🐜❤️4ever

Hunter36o
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40588Post Hunter36o
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:44 am

Hey the younger the better. You can learn more in a shorter amount of time once you want to.

I am 25 at the end of the week (Sunday) so GAN is am option. It really depends on the Myrmica though. They are one of the hardest to find here in Ireland. Like I am lucky I found the colony yesterday and it is only because they were catching the Lasius males and females alates and it is the only one I am aware of and its in my work area and not my home so my timing will need to be perfect. Although I am struggling getting preferred times for their flights at the moment. I know season wise it is soon.

I am going to need more set ups tho. I already have 8 tubes with Laius Niger queens. And I still also have to find tetramorium queens. I do not really want to limit the GAN to 2 species.
Founding stage:
9x Lasius Niger
1x Myrmica Rubra

Hunter36o
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40620Post Hunter36o
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:18 am

First Lasius Niger queen has laid 3 eggs. I feel like a proud daddy all over again. Haha
Founding stage:
9x Lasius Niger
1x Myrmica Rubra

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40638Post AntsIkhlef
Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Hunter36o wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:44 am
Hey the younger the better. You can learn more in a shorter amount of time once you want to.

I am 25 at the end of the week (Sunday) so GAN is am option. It really depends on the Myrmica though. They are one of the hardest to find here in Ireland. Like I am lucky I found the colony yesterday and it is only because they were catching the Lasius males and females alates and it is the only one I am aware of and its in my work area and not my home so my timing will need to be perfect. Although I am struggling getting preferred times for their flights at the moment. I know season wise it is soon.

I am going to need more set ups tho. I already have 8 tubes with Laius Niger queens. And I still also have to find tetramorium queens. I do not really want to limit the GAN to 2 species.
Oh damn happy birthday in advance!
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have yet to found my first colony! :geek:

Keeper of:

1x Formica sp.
2x Lasius niger
1x (Formica sp.)

🐜❤️4ever

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40679Post AntsIkhlef
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:50 am

Gotcha!
Queen caught! (Undergoing Identification)
She is little; about 6 mms,

Caught in S. France! I hope she is present in Sweden!

Ooohhh man I'm stoked!

https://ibb.co/h3Jeu8

Sorry for bad photos This is not my Main Request for ID!
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have yet to found my first colony! :geek:

Keeper of:

1x Formica sp.
2x Lasius niger
1x (Formica sp.)

🐜❤️4ever

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40801Post AntsIkhlef
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:36 am

AntsIkhlef wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:50 am
Gotcha!
Queen caught! (Undergoing Identification)
She is little; about 6 mms,

Caught in S. France! I hope she is present in Sweden!

Ooohhh man I'm stoked!

https://ibb.co/h3Jeu8

Sorry for bad photos This is not my Main Request for ID!
Eh. That’s embarrasing.
It was a Male.

Welp anyways i got a new Queen!

But.

She is Pheidole. :evil: :x
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have yet to found my first colony! :geek:

Keeper of:

1x Formica sp.
2x Lasius niger
1x (Formica sp.)

🐜❤️4ever

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 40867Post AntsIkhlef
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:20 pm

YES!

Finally a breakthrough!
I caught a Queen that is not Pheidole. Altought I am unsure of wich species (were’s Batspiderfish right :lol: ), it is refreshing!
There seems like this is an early Queen as I havn’t Seen any other Queens of this kind!
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have yet to found my first colony! :geek:

Keeper of:

1x Formica sp.
2x Lasius niger
1x (Formica sp.)

🐜❤️4ever

ClashOwenBash
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:58 am
Location: Oxford, England

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 41203Post ClashOwenBash
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Yet another day of Lasius Niger nuptial flights for S.England. Not even any Flavus to spice it up a little! Probably waiting for some rain, unlike the L.Niger which don't seem to stop! (much to the local Myrmica pleasure)
Currently caring for a Lasius Niger colony :D

Founding: :)
Lasius Niger
Lasius Flavus
Myrmica Rubra

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Nuptial Flights Europe (Eurasia)

Post: # 41774Post AntsIkhlef
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:57 am

Yes!

Now i’ve Got a total of four queens in my new industry!
One Formica sp. which is my favorite!
I call her Wonder Woman as she survived a 5 hour long train trip without dying of stress! She didn’t even eat her eggs! Now she has got a grand total of about 7-10 eggs and is pumping ‘em out like Victorian England’s Factory’s!

Lasius niger also seems to have Nuptial Flight or has had it a very close time ago as the ground is full of them! I captured so many! But I decided to release all but three as I didn’t feel the need for more!

This was on the 19th of July here in Sweden! This is crazy tho as the biggest drought since a century back is happening here but these ladies seems to be fond of it!

Pics will be posted if you guys want!

Hope it goes good for you!
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have yet to found my first colony! :geek:

Keeper of:

1x Formica sp.
2x Lasius niger
1x (Formica sp.)

🐜❤️4ever

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest