Only one species

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

GrumpyEggs

Only one species

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:19 am

So I have been trying to catch a camponotus modoc queen here in Utah but all I keep finding is more and more tetramorium queens and I think it's just unluckiness but do you guys have any tips?
Keeper of tetramorium immgrans

Dream species: prenolepis imparis

idahoantgirl

Re: Only one species

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:44 am

Same story here in Idaho. Escepially in June and July.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

MorbidBugg

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:34 pm

Dunno if it will help with your search or not but I found my C. Nova around 5-6pm. As well as other C. Spp so far this year after the 4pm mark, now I'm in ontario so it may not be any help at all but figured I'd let ya know what I've been seeing. (Most of the Queens I've seen had no wings at these times either perhaps another telling pattern)
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

Esteban90503

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:07 pm

Near Mnt. Timp I have seen maaaany modoc queens on my hikes in late April - early May. Honestly if you drive up provo canyon and stop at any of the small hikes, you should be able to find some. Last year there were too many to count the last week of april. So many that you had to watch out to try and not step on them.

Also, around July of this last year I found a C. Hurceleanus just walking around outside my apartment (biggest queen I've ever seen) and I live in Orem near UVU.

They are all over the place, but the majority of queens you find will be tetramorium (at least, that's the case with me).

Also, I have been lucky enough to find some harvester ant queens (messor barbarus I think) in south Provo near the mountains. They seem to like to fly on real hot days.

Good luck!