Does rain and sun in the same day affect flights?

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o

Does rain and sun in the same day affect flights?

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:43 am

Hey guys, so I know of there is a rainy day the following sunny day is prime for flights once we are in the right season. Which we are :). So I noticed on the weather report will will have scattered showers at around 3pm and our lovely heatwave will kick back in for around 6pm.
I was wondering is it possible to go queen hunting then or will the alates naturally wait until the following day to fly?

Also I did catch a lasius niger queen yesterday when walking with the missus and our young boy and we have had no rain for 2 maybe 3 weeks now. (This is a gift for irish weather haha)

So yeah can someone help me with this?
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

DictaruraSrl

Re: Does rain and sun in the same day affect flights?

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:52 am

I saw some queens in the same day after rain to. Usually the next day but personaly i caught them in the same day. Also, you can finde queens even if it hadn't rained in a while.

Hunter36o

Re: Does rain and sun in the same day affect flights?

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:31 am

Yeah well the irish weather report is once again wrong...... we got no rain... Okay cool beans thank you so much for the reply. I was not sure on that one at all.

I did catch one by pure fluke yesterday. Was soooo unprepared so i carried her home hahaha. She is in a temporary setup until my test tubes arrive so i wish her the best of luck. I will have to take a picture and make sure the set up is still okay. After that i plan to leave her be until the test tube arrive with in a week or so.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.