First queen, maybe.

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o

First queen, maybe.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:36 pm

Okay just to clear the air I know for a fact it is a queen. The maybe stands for what is below.

Okay so I just came home after catching my first queen by pure fluke! As in I was not even looking to catch them today, mainly because I assume that it is roughly a week early and we have had a constant heatwave for Ireland so temp is sorta ideal i guess. So I have her all tucked away in a temp setup cos my test tubes have not arrived yet. Again we are a week a head of our rough estimate for when funky time happens. She may not even be fertile for all I know. Do queens wonder far (guessing its far because the ant activity was higher back where i walked from suggesting possible nest area) on ground before the nuptial flight takes place? Are they naturally curious that way?
Anyway before coming across this queen I saw another queen being dragged away and when I looked closer it did look like she was missing an antenna so she was clearly attacked. Would that suggest these queens I came across just landed in the wrong place at the wrong time? Or will workers forcefully remove an alate that has something wrong?
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o

Re: First queen, maybe.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Also it was just about 7pm here when this all happened if that helps clears if I did just catch a curious queen or not...

I do not know much about queen and alate activities...
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o

Re: First queen, maybe.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:01 am

IGNORE!!

Found out my answer through science. Semi not proud but I could not get the answers I needed because info on ants in Ireland is very limited. All went well thank the uni. No troubles and no problems, which answered all questions.