First queen, maybe.

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o

First queen, maybe.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:36 pm

Okay just to clear the air I know for a fact it is a queen. The maybe stands for what is below.

Okay so I just came home after catching my first queen by pure fluke! As in I was not even looking to catch them today, mainly because I assume that it is roughly a week early and we have had a constant heatwave for Ireland so temp is sorta ideal i guess. So I have her all tucked away in a temp setup cos my test tubes have not arrived yet. Again we are a week a head of our rough estimate for when funky time happens. She may not even be fertile for all I know. Do queens wonder far (guessing its far because the ant activity was higher back where i walked from suggesting possible nest area) on ground before the nuptial flight takes place? Are they naturally curious that way?
Anyway before coming across this queen I saw another queen being dragged away and when I looked closer it did look like she was missing an antenna so she was clearly attacked. Would that suggest these queens I came across just landed in the wrong place at the wrong time? Or will workers forcefully remove an alate that has something wrong?
Founding stage:
9x Lasius Niger
1x Myrmica Rubra

Hunter36o

Re: First queen, maybe.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Also it was just about 7pm here when this all happened if that helps clears if I did just catch a curious queen or not...

I do not know much about queen and alate activities...
Founding stage:
9x Lasius Niger
1x Myrmica Rubra

Hunter36o

Re: First queen, maybe.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:01 am

IGNORE!!

Found out my answer through science. Semi not proud but I could not get the answers I needed because info on ants in Ireland is very limited. All went well thank the uni. No troubles and no problems, which answered all questions.
Founding stage:
9x Lasius Niger
1x Myrmica Rubra