Are nuptial flights over? (Pemberton, B.C.)

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AlphaAnt

Are nuptial flights over? (Pemberton, B.C.)

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:25 pm

I have recently decided to dive into the world of ant keeping. I have done plenty of research, and although I have yet to acquire any equipment, that is a minor inconvenience.

I am searching for native black carpenter ants, and I've always found their nuptial flights to happen during the early to mid summer, although the timing varied. Now, I haven't been outside in over three weeks (don't ask), so if they did occur, I would have missed them. I live in Pemberton in British Columbia, Canada (about a three hour drive north of Vancouver), and in a few days, June will be over. Does anyone think it is too late for me to be searching for newly mated queen ants? Should I wait for next year?

NYAnts11

Re: Are nuptial flights over? (Pemberton, B.C.)

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:58 am

No, tetramorium just had a huge nuptial flight lastnight and this morning, as I'm very far north in New York, you should be fine for another month or so, just keep an eye out on very humid warm nights, following rain or about to rain. The more bugs you see out during the day or night is usually a sign that they will fly that night. Find a nice big colony around of tetramorium and just take a peek at them from on late evenings and early mornings and see if they are swarming out front of their nest along with the other tip of tons of bugs near lights. When I say that, I mean more than normal.

Good luck! You've still got plenty of time.
2 Tetramorium Immigran Colonies #1 [40-50 workers] #2 [5-7 workers])
1 Lasius Neoniger Queen [waiting to lay after Hibernation]

sach44

Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:11 pm

Do not give up,i live in Canada and i have seen nuptial flights as late as September !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sach44

Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Plus July is Formica month right?

LordEnwar

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:55 pm

I think Formica literally just flew yesterday. Here in Vancouver, it was like a lotus swarm by Science World.

Lasius will fly at the end of July. I nabbed a few last year.