Great Flight this morning Tetramorium

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

NYAnts11

Great Flight this morning Tetramorium

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:33 am

Ive been following and watching closely everday for the past few weeks. This morning there were tons of wingless queens out roaming for a suitable location to start their colony.

Helpful info for beginners as I'm self taught just like most.

Find a decent sized colony in two to three different locations, atleast a block away or more from each other, and also keep an eye on bugs in general that swarm lights at night. If you see more bugs at night swarming lights its probably a good night to go check on the activity of the colonys. Bugs and insects alone love warm humid days that carry into the night. Once you've done that and you see their overly active at the mouth of their nest then check the following morning between 5 and 7:30am. For me between 6am and 7am has been the best. But I'm sure each location is different.

This trick worked best for me, I figured out the pattern thru trial and error. No promises to queens but it will get you headed in the right direction to some tetramorium queens.
2 Tetramorium Immigran Colonies #1 [40-50 workers] #2 [5-7 workers])
1 Lasius Neoniger Queen [waiting to lay after Hibernation]

NYAnts11

Re: Great Flight this morning Tetramorium

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:47 am

Edited and revised as I ran out of time abd wouldn't let me edit previous post.

Ive been following and watching closely everday for the past few weeks. This morning there were tons of wingless queens out roaming for a suitable location to start their colony. The most I've ever seen as a novice. I only had tubes for 2 more, totaling 3, but wish I could share the rest with those in need. I must have seen at least 10 wingless heslthy queens. Very exciting moment. Anyways thru my experiences just wanted to share a tip to anyone searching because there is still time to catch tetramorium in the north east region of the united states.

Helpful info for beginners as I'm self taught just like most.

Find a decent sized colony in two to three different locations, atleast a block away or more from each other, and also keep an eye on bugs in general that swarm lights at night. If you see more bugs at night swarming lights its probably a good night to go check on the activity of the colonys. Bugs and insects alone love warm humid days that carry into the night. Once you've done that and you see their overly active at the mouth of their nest then check the following morning between 5 and 7:30am. If you see alot of birds on the ground near side walks thats because theres a ton of male and females [alates] for them to eat. For me between 6am and 7am has been the best in finding tetramorium wueens. But I'm sure each location is different. Pick a grassy park location that has not black sidewalks but almost white'ish. They like that more or are drawn to it more; plus its easier to see them as they're scurrying across. Ive found less luck if theres too much pavement around. And more luck if theres a nice white pavement, like i mentioned, with nice grooves in between each slab for the ants to travel or nest, threwn about a nice open grassy field. Keep your eyes peeled and I hope this helps someone in the future.

This trick worked best for me, I figured out the pattern thru trial and error. No promises to queens but it will get you headed in the right direction to some tetramorium queens.
2 Tetramorium Immigran Colonies #1 [40-50 workers] #2 [5-7 workers])
1 Lasius Neoniger Queen [waiting to lay after Hibernation]