Nuptial Flight Sightings: New York

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

LiveMalik

Re: Nuptial Flight Sightings: New York

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 pm

hey , im from nyc. New to the hobby this year. The spring was unusually cold and we havent had a lot of rainy days. I was lucky to find my first queen in the bronx under a rock one day when i was searching..and i mean lucky..lol. I try to go out on good days or look when im at work since i work outdoors. Haven't noticed much Flights and only seen dead males on a few occasions. It just was a big storm so im hoping to go out in the morn to look for a queen or two. I live by a river and a wooded area in nyc. Glad to hear from others in ny about there successes!!
Happy hunting

dimik13407

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:28 am

LiveMalik wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 pm
hey , im from nyc. New to the hobby this year. The spring was unusually cold and we havent had a lot of rainy days. I was lucky to find my first queen in the bronx under a rock one day when i was searching..and i mean lucky..lol. I try to go out on good days or look when im at work since i work outdoors. Haven't noticed much Flights and only seen dead males on a few occasions. It just was a big storm so im hoping to go out in the morn to look for a queen or two. I live by a river and a wooded area in nyc. Glad to hear from others in ny about there successes!!
Happy hunting
Was it a Tetramorium queen that you found or one of the other 41 species found in NYC? Just curious.

LiveMalik

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:28 pm

i honestly dont know. i believe she is Tetramorium or pheidole. I was going to compare her with another queen i caught which i've put pics of on the forum. The second queen is either tetramorium or Lasius. IShe has yet to produce eggs so i am just hoping she is a queen as of now..llol. My queen who has some workers after a month is kept undisturbed, but i will try to get a good pic of her for confirmation soon.
btw..it stormed in NY yesterday. i was out today and didnt see any queens but ill be out again tom. i saw alot of pavement ants opening up there nest holes tho

QueenAnt

Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:16 pm

I have been actively searching for more queens. Unfortunately the camponotus queen might not be able to produce a colony in spite of my best efforts. Any tips on finding more queens? Or is it possible that anyone in new york have to many queens on their hands? Just really want to have a colony so I have been trying my best to make the goal happen. I search today for a few hours with no luck.
A Queen In Search of Queens

toepick

Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:17 pm

Heya! Just embarking on this adventure of ant keeping!! so excited!! And its Labor Day Weekend!! I am located in Westchester NY area, around the Ossining area to be exact but the weather around the state is pretty close.. we've just had some cool rainy days and it looks like Sunday and especially Monday Tuesday it's going to be 90's and humid again!! Anyone else going to be out looking for some Lasius queens?? Hopeing conditions will be good over the next week or two!!

Diamondking

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:31 am

I was upstate a few days ago and saw three crematogastor queens!! Caught 2, one got away :cry:
Keeping:
x1 Lasius Neoniger
x2 Crematogastor

toepick

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:06 am

Same!! Two Crematagastor queens, pics of the first one in the ID forums. Kind of surprised I haven't seen more queens in general. I have been out walking the neighborhood almost every day (which includes a large park with several sports fields). Have found several nests but not much activity. Will keep at it, would like to find some Lasius queens.

3rdshoe

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Spotted a whole slew of nuptial flights on staten island near fort waddsworth! I think they are Lasius neoniger

NYAnts11

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Caught her about a week... week and a half ago. I think she's lasius I just posted on ID form. But I am upstate NY near Lake George area. It was near labor day weekend. I'm assuming that its a Labor Day Ant and hoping so. She's yet to lay any eggs and might be waiting til spring from what I've read. Anyone confirm this queen ant as Lasius Neoniger?

2 Tetramorium Immigran Colonies #1 [40-50 workers] #2 [5-7 workers])
1 Lasius Neoniger Queen [waiting to lay after Hibernation]

toepick

Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:32 pm

Some nuptial flights happening around the Westchester area..some pictures I took: